When they test you

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by keren, Oct 17, 2010.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I did not have a good morning. I had horribly behaved goats.

Violet was perfect on the stand, but when she hopped off and went to eat their breakfast, she picked up the feeder in her mouth, tipped it all out on the ground, and walked away. Grrrrr ... bunch of expensive feed now wasted.

Gemma kept jumping up on the stand and jumping straight back off, and running away. When I finally got her up there and settled, Violet came along and tried to hop up too, of course that upset Gem and she tried to jump down, I ended up with a nubian sitting on my shoulders. Not fun.

I finally locked Violet up, got Gem back up on the stand, and was almost finished milking her when she bashed the bail feeder with her head, and grain went absolutely everywhere, including in the milk pail.

So I had to dump 3.5L of milk, net result being I have a milk order this afternoon that I wont be able to fill.

She then took off and I had to go catch her.

:( and :angry: and :veryangry: I was FURIOUS with them. I locked them back up and fed them and drove away. Didn't stay for cuddles this morning. They are normally picture perfect and today they tested me, well and truly.

I know this afternoon it will seem silly, and I will love them all over again.

But how do you all keep your patience when they test you?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I usually scream and then leave.

are they possibly in heat? I dont think its the time for that there but just grasping at straws here. I find mine go crazy when in heat and do not so normal things.

3. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I have one that tests me every day, one that tests me every now and then (i've been milking both about 3 weeks now) and a couple days ago, my perfect angel Bailey, who i've been milking about 9 weeks now, waited until i had almost all of her milk, and put her foot right in the bucket.

btw, she was in heat, so maybe that is it.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Wow they really pulled some fast ones, how frusterating! Hopefully they got it out of their systems & will be perfect angels next time! :wink:

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    The does here always get restless this time of year. I am pretty sure it's hormonal...they all seem to have goat PMS. LOL!

I had a similar experience a few days ago, Keren. One of my does that is usually an angel for milking was being AWFUL! She got up on the stand and starting eating so I got down to business and then, without warning, she just went flying off the stand (I normally use a head gate but she's so good that I never had to latch it before). A few seconds later she jumped back on the stand but as soon as I went to close the head gate to keep her in place, she jumped off again! Then she would not let me catch her! She had NEVER run from me like that before! It was extremely frustrating and my morning routine took almost 1/2 hour longer than it should have because she was acting so naughty.

I was pretty mad at her for a while but when I went out later in the afternoon she was unusually sweet...I am pretty sure she was trying to make up with me. So I accepted her appology and have been using the head gate in the morning ever since! :)

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    LOL what a seetheart!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :laugh: yep... I think that's it..... :wink:

I get angry like you.... I stick with it and finish what needs to be done....... I don't beat them....but sometimes the bad language slips..... :wink: :hug: