When to breed dairy goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by GoatJoy, Aug 9, 2010.

1. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx
    I know that a dairy goat's breeding season is in the fall, roughly around August-Dec. But i've noticed on websites, breeders here in texas are breeding their girls in the summer or spring. :whatgoat: Am i missing something?

thanks!

Laura Boaz

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I think it depends on the breed and on the goat, and on the climate when they come in season. Nigerian Dwarfs tend to come in season year round. Most of the big dairy goats only in the fall/winter. Pygmies year round, Kinders year round usually. I don't know about the meat goats.

Jan

3. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx
    oh i didnt know that about the mini-breeds. THey are so cute! I've noticed though, that some people are breeding their large nubians or saanens. which is rather confusing to me...but this will be my first year breeding them.
    Laura

4. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Nigerian Dwarfs can be bred year around, now when you have the mini crosses such as the MiniManchas, Mini-Nubians, and Mini-Alpines, since to get the minis you cross the full size with the ND. That usually means that they can be bred year around, I have does due from now until October.

Now they really come into season during Aug - Dec, just like any other breed. My bucks stink something awefull then, when the rest of the year I can hardly smell them.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Standard nubians can cycle from August through February. I dont know about other standard breeds.

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Depends on what breed. Nigerians breed year round...but most standards cycle in the early fall to mid winter.

7. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    My LaManchas are cycling already. So are my friend's.

8. GoatJoy

GoatJoy Active Member

Aug 8, 2010
    East Tx
    ok cool! thanks for the feedback!
    Laura

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can breed them whenever you want really as long as they are cycling. When you want them to kid determins when you breed them usually. Gestation is 150 days approx.