When to breed??

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by GoatGirlZ, Sep 4, 2014.

1. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    When do you suggest I breed my goat I know gestation is five months but what I the best time of year?

2. TheGoatWhisperer

TheGoatWhisperer Nibbles! Not again...

Jan 17, 2014
    Oregon
    In my experience it is harder on the babies and moms when the weather is changing so for around here...we like to breed in late fall or winter for babies end of march early summer like May or June. The bad weather changes around here occur in September-November and Feb-April. Usually March is ok though cause you are nearing the end of that weather change from cold to hot. I don't know if it's the same in Idaho. :) lol I've seen a lot of babies die in the harsh winter weather we get in Jan and Feb.

3. RaineyDayFarms

RaineyDayFarms New Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Houston
    I'm going for March kids next year. February is still kind of cold here and by the end of April it is already getting warm.

4. GoatGirlZ

GoatGirlZ New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Idaho
    With my goat she is a terrible mom I have bottle feed all her kids and they get separated and put in their own pen with a heat lamp so cold isn't a huge concern so maybe ill shoot for feb through April. Thanks for all the advice

5. Viola5

Viola5 Member

Dec 10, 2013
    I'm from ID too :)

I'm going for early April babies. This last year I had babies born at the end of March and lost both of them. They had a heating lamp and their mom but it was still to cold for them...... It actually snowed on the night they were born.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Spring kids are best, kidding feb to April. You have spring grasses.

It also depends on what your market is, if you have 4h buyers ect.

When kids are born in the winter, it is harder on them, same is true for summer born kids.

7. dreamacresfarm2

dreamacresfarm2 also known as Mayia real life Cheri

May 10, 2014
    Oregon
    I'm shooting for April/May this year - after the snow and wet but before the heat and the flies.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  8. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    I breed for May/June kids. By then we have plenty of grass, and the days are long and warm but not too hot yet.

9. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I am now breeding for any time of the year except winter. It's cold and wet here and I'm very much over it lol. But I think if I was brave enough to kid out all in one month I would pick October. Couldn't tell you why other then my October kids always seem to do the best

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Every breeder will give you a different answer. I take weather into consideration. I usually breed mine for early May kids because of the cold weather and being that we kid outdoors. I'll probably breed earlier this year though and see how it goes.

11. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

If you are breeding for 4-H animals here we breed for dec-feb kids but since I am not breeding for 4-H animals I am not sure if I want to breed for October kids or breed for march so they have all summer to eat grass and get fat.