The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to breed my 10 month old pygmys so the babies will be born in early/mid summer, some people have told me to breed them now while there still a little young and others have told me to wait till there at least 14 months old, I'm really confused on what I should do. What are you opinions?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would not breed them until they are older are more mature. If you really want them to kid in the summer, wait until next January to breed them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not breed them until they are older are more mature. If you really want them to kid in the summer, wait until next January to breed them.
If I bred them in April then they'd be about 13 months and they'd kid in September-ish, would they still be to young and would it be to late in the year for them to kid

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just recently posted a similar thread about my Nigerian dwarf doe, and the best advice I got there was to look at the weight and maturity of the doe first. Young does can be bred, but if you want the freshening to go smoothly it’s better to make sure she’s big enough to do so. Others said to wait 16 months so you know for sure that the doe is of size and mature, but I’ve heard stories where some does are still too small to breed even at that age. Unfortunately I don’t know the average weight of a Pygmy or what to look for, but hopefully someone else does!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just recently posted a similar thread about my Nigerian dwarf doe, and the best advice I got there was to look at the weight and maturity of the doe first. Young does can be bred, but if you want the freshening to go smoothly it's better to make sure she's big enough to do so. Others said to wait 16 months so you know for sure that the doe is of size and mature, but I've heard stories where some does are still too small to breed even at that age. Unfortunately I don't know the average weight of a Pygmy or what to look for, but hopefully someone else does!
There already almost to there full size and weight

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have Nigerian Dwarf goats or African Pygmy goats? African Pygmy are notorious for birthing issues and you'll want to be very cautious selecting a buck for low birth weights and making sure the does are of adequate size to give birth.
I think there mixed with Nigerians because they have quite a few features like NDs and are already 21in and weigh 40 pounds which would be considered a larger female pygmy but there not even a year old yet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts