The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My farm relocated to a completely different climate just a couple months ago. I recently got my goats back on their regular minerals and routine. One of them appears to need a copper bolus. Where we used to live, we had a lot of copper deficiency, so should I let her adjust to the new minerals in the new climate and grass to see if it corrects itself? Or should I go ahead and give her a bolus?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,627 Posts
Yes, I agree. I'd give her the copper and all that may happen is she may not need it as fast if this new location has higher levels of copper. Or maybe this area doesn't have as good of copper, in which case getting ahead of the deficiency certainly is the way to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This doeling is too small for the adult bolus, so can I just pour half of the adult bolus over her grain or do I need to buy the kid bolus?
I've seen many people just pour them over feed. I've always used a balling gun, but would they absorb it the same if they just eat it with their food? That would be much easier. 😉

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,086 Posts
This doeling is too small for the adult bolus, so can I just pour half of the adult bolus over her grain or do I need to buy the kid bolus?
I've seen many people just pour them over feed. I've always used a balling gun, but would they absorb it the same if they just eat it with their food? That would be much easier. 😉
Does she like banana or fig newton cookies? If the answer is yes, slice about a 1 1/2" to 2" piece lengthwise, pour the cooper rods onto the bottom halve, place the top back on, gently squeeze back together and offer as a treat. If it is a favorite treat, usually goats will gobble them down so quickly there isn't much chewing involved. If she hasn't had either of those treats, make for sure she will eat them before you add the cooper rods. Have never offered the cooper rods sprinkled over food because I don't think the single rod particles were meant to be chewed, and if there are particles left in the bottom after the feed is gone, the goat only received a partial dosage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does she like banana or fig newton cookies? If the answer is yes, slice about a 1 1/2" to 2" piece lengthwise, pour the cooper rods onto the bottom halve, place the top back on, gently squeeze back together and offer as a treat. If it is a favorite treat, usually goats will gobble them down so quickly there isn't much chewing involved. If she hasn't had either of those treats, make for sure she will eat them before you add the cooper rods. Have never offered the cooper rods sprinkled over food because I don't think the single rod particles were meant to be chewed, and if there are particles left in the bottom after the feed is gone, the goat only received a partial dosage.
Thanks! I'll have to give her some banana soon to see if she likes it. 😉

1 - 8 of 8 Posts