When to milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by magilacudy, Mar 31, 2010.

1. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
    When would you recommend that I start milking? Kids were born 3 days ago My friend says I should milk out a little now and freeze it so I have colostrum on hand. And he says I should milk her out after the kids eat. But I'm not there to see when they are eating. Also, the billy will be going for a bottle baby at 2 weeks old. So how would that work with milking her, should I milk more often?

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    If you want good quality colostrum it needs to be milked out within a few hours after the babies are born...so I would not worry about that now.

At this point her milk still has traces of colostrum...which is not too tasty...so if you are wanting milk for yourself, it is best to wait at least about 10-14 days. If her udder is getting tight during the day, you can go ahead and milk her now and freeze the milk for later use for kids...just don't use it as colostrum.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Exactly as FRF said....IF you decide to do a milk out a few times daily, freeze it for when her buckling leaves, it can go with him. If she has just one kid on her after he leaves, she will need to be milked to keep from being lopsided or engorged, after 2 weeks, the milk will be fine for your own use.

4. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
  5. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    And if you are sending one kid off on a bottle, I'd put him on the bottle now!