When to mix mom w/ kids with rest of herd

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by kids-n-peeps, Apr 29, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    My doe kidded a week ago with triplets. We have kept her in a separate area with her kids. A fence separates them from the other 4 does. Mom has gone out in the electronetting with the other does to graze while the kids sleep. And there have been a few supervised interactions between them all in the past two days. The two older does leave them alone, the third doe is very interested in the kids, has pushed her head on them, but gently. The youngest doe, also bottom goat with horns, rears up and wants to head butt them.

So . . . how do you decide when to "open the gate" so to speak? Mom does not stay with her kids when she is grazing/browsing. She'll occassionally look for them, but is more interested in eating, so she makes me a bit nervous that they could get themselves into a situation that she'd be unaware of. When not eating, she's very protective of them.

Thanks for any guidance.

Oh, and the electronetting is poultry netting so the squares are really small and not the tangle hazard that goat netting can be.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I let mine out anywhere from 3-7 days old and they do fine. Yah they get butted and rolled to the ground but they soon realize to stay away from the larger goats or they tease them by running close and then scooting real fast teh other direction. I think they enjoy the game

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... I let mine out on day 3 ....unless there is a weak kid or momma is having bonding issues..... letting them with the herd now.. is a good time......good luck... :wink: :greengrin:

4. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Most moms are protective of thier kids we have both extremes one who would loose custody if she was human and the other one is the "dont mess with my baby" she is the oldest doe and also the herd leader. From what I understand does will try to progress up the heirarchy in the herd after birth to attain a higher ranking for thier kids sometimes it works and sometimes it fails.

5. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Sounds good . . . the gate will now remain open (with me worrying and watching from a distance, lol) :wink:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: Let us know how it goes.. :hug:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I usually wait 3-5 days, until kids are good and fast on their little feet. then they go out during the day and soon after are out there 24/7 unless it gets real cold

8. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Well . . . I could only take it about five minutes. When my youngest doe pushed one of the bucklings into the stall wall, I promptly separated everyone. When my husband got home, he thought I was being wimpy and opened the gate again. Things are going more smoothly and they are sticking with Mom a bit better. Mom, who is the lead doe, chases the others off (when she's not eating . . . ), so the others are figuring out to not mess with the kids too much. And the kids are fast on their feet, but are really curious about these other goats . . .

So MAYBE I was over-reacting the first time. I never over-react :ROFL: So we're checking on them frequently and hopefully all will remain well.

9. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    If they are fairly confined, like inside a barn, it is good to be a little overprotective so the bigger ones don't pin the babies against something. Out in the open it is ok. The big ones may butt the babies, shoving them along, however, they can't pin them and actually injure one too easily.