The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a lot of info on here about Copper blousing, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question.

I copper bolused my herd 3 months ago and haven't seen much change. My black doe still looks reddish (I just shaved her for summer) and two of them still have the fishtail appearance. We have well water and high iron. Would it be safe to give them another dose? They are Nigerian dwarfs and I gave them each the 2g Copasure.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Around here we copper bolus 2 times per year--spring and fall. But if you have high iron content in your water it could be blocking your goats' absorption of copper, so you may need to bolus more often. I'm not sure how often that would be, though, so hopefully someone else will. The dosage is 1g/22lbs body weight.

I have Oberhaslis, which tend to need more copper than other breeds, so I also leave out feed-grade copper sulfate free choice. This practice may freak some people out, but it was suggested to me by the farm I got my goats from, and they have been doing it for years. I only leave out a tablespoon or so at a time because it does cake up in moist weather. I give dolomite free choice too which is recommended when feed copper sulfate. A good loose goat mineral with plenty of copper is a must as well.

Good luck with your babies!

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
You will probably have to bolus more frequently with high iron in your water. I would go ahead and give them another one.

·
I'm watching you
22,538 Posts
Yes, here I do everyone 3 times a year and have a couple that need 4 times a year. For me 2 grams is only a dose for a 40 lb. goat.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I was wondering the same thing! I did mine almost two months ago, I think, but the buck still has an extreme fishtail, and I was wondering if I should do him again, or is it too soon?

·
I'm watching you
22,538 Posts
I can only tell what I would do...
Sassy, Nobody here gets less than 4 grams, not even kids. 2 grams is the lamb dose.
Sarah, I would have redone your buck when he didn't show improvement in 8 weeks.

This copper is much safer then Copper Sulfate. It doesn't all hit the system at once.

Sassy, make sure you're not using a steel or galvanized tank for water. Go buy $20 worth of pennies from the bank. Collect all the pennies from 1962 to 1981. These are all 95 percent copper. Put them in a little net bag and throw them in your water tank. The blacker they become the more oxide they are putting into the water. It might help block some of the iron.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I can only tell what I would do...
Sassy, Nobody here gets less than 4 grams, not even kids. 2 grams is the lamb dose.
Sarah, I would have redone your buck when he didn't show improvement in 8 weeks.

This copper is much safer then Copper Sulfate. It doesn't all hit the system at once.

Sassy, make sure you're not using a steel or galvanized tank for water. Go buy $20 worth of pennies from the bank. Collect all the pennies from 1962 to 1981. These are all 95 percent copper. Put them in a little net bag and throw them in your water tank. The blacker they become the more oxide they are putting into the water. It might help block some of the iron.
I was wondering the same thing.. I have kinders (they way 45-60 lbs) I only gave them 2 grams... Well my milker is showing a reddish tinge still, so that is probably why. I'll give her another 2 grams now:) Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Copper bolus dose is 1 gram per 22lbs body weight. You may have to break open a capsule and weight out the additional amount, or just round up.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I was told by a vet that it needs to go down whole to be most effective for the time release to work...., therefore if it's time release, I don't think you can't overdose... This makes since to me...

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gave the two does, one in milk and one due in a few weeks, another 2g capsule and also the sel/vit e gel. Hopefully I'll see a difference soon.

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
I put my copper rods in a syringe that the end has been cut off and then top it with Probios. I haven't seen a difference with effectiveness doing it this way than when I was using the pills. Just much easier for me to do. If you get it down them properly, they chew very few.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I put my copper rods in a syringe that the end has been cut off and then top it with Probios. I haven't seen a difference with effectiveness doing it this way than when I was using the pills. Just much easier for me to do. If you get it down them properly, they chew very few.
you mean the Probios that come as a paste in a tube? I've been wondering which kind to get- there's several: powder, gel, paste, cattle, horse- which kind is the best for goats? the paste?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I actually use the powder kind and paste. I use the powder to mix in with bottles if I have any bottle babbles, or when I drench with electrolytes I mix it in with the drench... I use the paste when I give antibiotics, or if I think there is a gut thing going on....

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i did mine like Karen, and since i don't have probios at home, i put the end of the syringe into a banana to hold the rods in. worked really well!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I mix the copper bolus into my goats' grain using a little agave nectar to make it stick. They tend NOT to chew their grain, just basically inhale it, so don't chew the rods. Doing it this way has always seemed to work fine here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Epic Fail?

Well, I fed them each a bolus tonight...except they crunched it up ... they swallowed it, but it didn't just go right down (in pill form)_
...Sigh... Now what?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Well, I fed them each a bolus tonight...except they crunched it up ... they swallowed it, but it didn't just go right down (in pill form)_
...Sigh... Now what?
It will still work... It just won't be a time release thing... but you should see results in about a month..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts