The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an almost 3 week old Boer/La Mancha cross who was dam raised to 5 days and never has taken to a bottle, we have been having some success with feeding from a bowl, but we lost her twin a few days ago.

Yesterday morning she started to show similar symptoms - back hunched, head down, no poop, swollen belly. I dosed her with Milk of Magnesia & started her on goat electrolytes about every hour 24 hours ago. When can I start adding milk again? Do I need to redose with M.O.M. at any time? Should I be adding baking soda as I restart the milk? I am concerned because she has been so difficult to feed - and I'm worried about her missing out on even more nutrition.

I am very upset as this is my first year raising goats & these were to be my first bottle babies, but the breeder didn't let me know that they were not started on a bottle right off - I wanted them to get the colostrum so she just left them with the mother. Later she said that she couldn't get them to take milk except from the mother. It's been a battle from day one. I won't ever be doing this again. Hard lesson learned.

Does anyone have advice about when to start the milk again? I am not using a replacer.

Thank you!
Joyceb

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I've used the packets of "Prolyte Plus" which has probiotics as well as electrolytes and the directions had said to start milk again after 24 hours. You had said it hadn't pooed, is it peeing? I do hope you can get help with someone more experienced with bottle babies...all my kids are dam raised.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry - yes she has been peeing regularly, I see her 3+ times a day, usually right after a feed. She did have 2 small, well formed, BMs yesterday - these were the first I'd seen in 2 days, but she is in the pasture and I'm generally out there 5x a day (trying to get her to eat).

She is wandering around with my older girls, but is not playful. When I come out to feed her she is very VERY eagerly sucking on my fingers, shoelaces, etc - but refuses bottles with pritchard nipples, lamb savers, black lam nipples & even gerber nipples for human babies. She does drink out of a large, clear glass measuring cup - if I hold it up. But even that had been hit or miss over the past few days.

Today she is more eager about drinking from it (electrolyte solution). I started with 2 ounces per hour & am now up to about 4 every hour and a half or so. Its the ManaPro goat electrolyte in the lime green package.

Joyceb

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also - forgot to mention, I gave her probiotics this morning. She'd had one dose per week since arriving here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If she follows your fingers, have you tried having her suck on your fingers and then lead her to the pan of milk?

Yes, I have tried that very thing. Sometimes she will drink from the cup, about 75% of the time.

Should I be adding milk to that cup now? I haven't heard much, but to go ahead, so I went ahead and used 1/3 milk 2/3 electrolytes for the last 2 feedings. She was far less interested in that than the straight electrolyte solution.

Is this a sign that I am moving back to milk too quick?

Joyceb

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Sorry, I can't give any help, moral support is all I'm good for in this situation. I've heard that when they are hungry enough they'll eat. Have you gone to the fiascofarm.com website? Try them out...they have answers for every situation. Hope your baby gets through this... :hug: :pray:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Di.

She is alert and eager to eat this morning. Her tummy has a more normal feel - not tight and full. I'm afraid to be too hopeful, but I'll keep you all posted.

Joyceb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts