The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was wondering...

How soon after the does are bred do you wait to sell the buck? We just can't keep the buck even though we'd wanted to try keeping him for next year - he's a good boy, quiet, and has a great personality.
We needed to build him a new pen and shelter, but we just had major flood damage in our home from a water pipe leak, and between dealing with that, and dealing with me needing another vehicle, the $$ for the pen and shelter just won't happen when we need it.

We think he bred 2 does on weekend of 8/3, and the last doe was bred on 8/17.
None have shown signs of coming back into heat. We'd like to sell him sooner rather than later, so someone can use him for the fall breeding season.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I like to give it a full cycle to make sure they don't come back into heat. If your girls didn't come back into heat, you could probably go ahead and sell him. It might take a while anyway.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I think you would be pretty safe to put him up for sale now. I would see if the new buyer would be willing to allow you to breed your does in case they do end up not pregnant though, especially if they don't live very far away.

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
It is like 2 cycles. Breed, then watch 18 to 21 days later, for the does to come in or not, If all didn't take and some come back in, they will be bred the next go around.

Usually a Doe at most, normally, will take on the first attempt but, a few may take on the second attempt.

So at least 2 cycles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts