When to separate bucklings from mom

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by dannyduprey, Jun 7, 2010.

1. dannyduprey

dannyduprey New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Venus, Florida
    How soon after kidding can does come into heat again? We don't want our Lamancha does to become pregnant again any time soon. From what I've read, it sounds like bucklings can impregnate their mothers at a rather young age.

2. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I look forward to hearing this. Mine are 6 weeks old and getting their feet wet in that department...haven't seen them try to mount mom yet, but they are definitely interested.

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    It was my understanding that bucklings should be separated by 3 months.

I don't think you'd have to worry about them impregnating a full grown doe before then simply because of the height difference, but I have heard stories about kids impregnating other kids as early as two months.

I am not sure about the heat portion of your question, however.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i seperate/casterate as soon as they turn "lethal" as soon as they can pop it out i seperate/casterate. if it means bottle then it means bottle

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most of my mini kids are in new homes by the time they are 8 weeks and since I won't sell cross bucklings, most are banded at 6-7 weeks.
    Your doe being a LaMancha , likely has heat cycles in the Fall....starting in late August until January so her coming into heat now is unlikely.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Like Liz said--this is not as much of an issue with seasonal breeders as it is with year-round breeders. I have been told that being around a buck can bring a doe into heat out of season but I have never seen it happen before August. I used to have Alpines and have Lamanchas now and I have never had one come in heat outside the normal breeding season (late August-Feb). Anyway, I separate bucklings at 10-12 weeks.