When to start Combing

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by ArcticGoats, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    When do you start combing out your goats? I kind of figured I'd wait until I saw some sign of loose fiber - I hope mine hold on to it for a couple of months more...do the females shed after having a kid? How about the others?

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You should start seeing the "fur flying" pretty soon, well, at least mine are starting. I think last year they started slowly, then I combed cashmere for, well, several weeks, I guess. I've got my girls in my "cleanest" pasture. Good luck!

3. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    My C's have started "blowing" their fleece already......... ggggggrrrrrrrrrr........ how can that be when the last 3 days are the only ones that have been above 10 degrees tops in the last 6 weeks?

Once you see the clumps looking like they're ready to release. comb or pluck daily until they're down to the undercoat. That's what I do anyway.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It really depends on where you live and the weather. I have totally combed out 5 of my goats, but most of the others have not even started to loose theirs. I am so hoping that one of my does that I sold starts to lose hers before she leaves to her new home. I am the one that paid for the feed to grow that fiber so I will be the one that keeps the fiber.

For some reason my goats seem to blow their fiber before anyone else around here, I do not know why that is.

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    LOL, you've already combed out 5 does? Wow, mine are just starting, but it's still cold here so I'm glad they still have it! They will be kidding in early March, does pregnancy have anything to do with when they blow their fleece Lori?

6. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Yeah - I've started seeing a clump or two and thought about combing but was afraid to start if they weren't ready as you all have said that it might straighten the fiber too much. I wonder if when they start is related to daylight length at all? Last year my maremma blew her coat in January (serious mistake) but seems to be holding it better this year. It was -30 just a few days ago (well, -44 on tuesday, -30 on thursday but warmed up to 0 now) so I REALLY hope they hang on for a while longer....!!!! I better start knitting some sweaters.... :wink:

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I just don't know how folks can live in that kind of cold...brrrrrrrr!

8. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I know ...we are nuts.....my Pry is jumping out of the enclosure and it's troublesome. Well...he's not jumping ..he walks over the fence the snow is so high. I worked with a shock collar but it doesn't even bother him. So....he's in the barn and my female is doing all the work. I'll need to pay her overtime in treats.

9. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Yeah - definite clumps happening. I pluck but it seems its velcro with the hay so I have as much hay...sigh, learning curve....I just hope I don't miss it and lose too much to the trees, barn, ground etc...

Powderhooves - have you tried a breaker bar on front so your dog can't lift its feet? I've heard it can help...

Today is WARM - +13! yahoo! Live in the cold? Well, you:
    A) get used to it
    B) are prepared for it (mostly)
    C) shop heavily for retirement goat farms in warm (-er) places!!!! :sun:

10. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    not to change the subject but I am having dog troubles also, what is a breaker bar? Thanks, Denise

11. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    You basically hang a bar (can be 2x4, broom handle etc) horizontally off the front of the dog from the collar, which then impedes it from lifting its legs. Can't lift legs, can't jump, dog stays behind fence...I hear it works on goats too. And that's what we call it, it may be called something else.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Yep but now I have combed out even more. It is so hot here (ok from normal) that they are just loosing it so fast, I am having a hard time getting it all combed out. See I just wish we would get some good snow here, we are really needing it.