The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.5 week old buckling that is separated at night from mom. He is in with a 2.5 month old doe that I bought last Monday, she was weaned at 4 weeks, and I put her on a bottle again since she won't eat grain yet, and started scouring because of too much grass and apples. I wormed her as well. She still won't touch the grain, but she likes her bottles:) When should I try to introduce grain to the buckling, and her again? Should I try calf manna? Since the doeling is pretty tiny, I will most likely bottle feed her until the end of October.... When do you introduce grains to your kids?

·
Super Moderator
59,256 Posts
I would keep it out now. Since my kids are in with mom, mine have access to grain from day one. I would just put a little out since you may have to throw it out if they don't eat it in a couple of days. Calf Manna is fine.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I just threw a handful in there tonight... Hopefully they will eventually start to eat it:)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have a 2.5 week old buckling that is separated at night from mom. He is in with a 2.5 month old doe that I bought last Monday, she was weaned at 4 weeks, and I put her on a bottle again since she won't eat grain yet, and started scouring because of too much grass and apples. I wormed her as well. She still won't touch the grain, but she likes her bottles:) When should I try to introduce grain to the buckling, and her again? Should I try calf manna? Since the doeling is pretty tiny, I will most likely bottle feed her until the end of October.... When do you introduce grains to your kids?
Are you giving the buckling's mother grain? If so, you have the perfect opportunity to teach the little doe what it is and what to do with it. Mom will teach her buckling - probably within a week, and the buckling will then teach the doeling while they are penned at night. Is that something that is doable on your end? Just a little something to think about.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I milk her in the morning, I typically put him on the stand with her while she's eating and I'm milking her... I'll continue that, so he can learn from her:)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I put a cup of grain in with Bella and Beebop and there was only about a tbsp left this morning... I'm hoping they both ate it... She is eager for her bottles now too, so yay that's a step in the right direction.. She's gaining weight too she's getting heavy, he is too but was more concerned about her...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Well I put a cup of grain in with Bella and Beebop and there was only about a tbsp left this morning... I'm hoping they both ate it... She is eager for her bottles now too, so yay that's a step in the right direction.. She's gaining weight too she's getting heavy, he is too but was more concerned about her...
That is wonderful! Good job!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts