The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We plan on breeding two of our girls as soon as they go into heat. We picked up a buck rag from the farm where they will be bred yesterday and this evening when doing farm chores I exposed it to the girls. I opened the bag and both girls smelled the rag and immediately peed. One girl stuck her nose in the bag a few times then walked away. The other stuck her whole face in the bag, nibbled and licked the rag, tried to chew on the bag. No extreme tail wagging that I noticed... maybe just a little. Although the more excited girl stuck her tail straight up. I put the rag away and the more excited girl was pacing a little and pushing into the smaller goats. They both are wagging their tails a little but I'm not sure if that is because of the gnats which a terrible this week or because of heat. I have heard that some goats have a less noticeable heat and the breeder said that the peeing means SOMETHING even though the one goat didn't show much interest beyond that.... So my question... I am so afraid of missing their heat. Should I take them tonight or does it sound like they are just going into heat and it will be ok to take them in the morning? I worry that they were in heat before and we just didn't notice because we don't have a buck and they hadn't been exposed to the rag yet.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
A buck rag is great but does can still be hard to read. Someone on another buck rag post suggested rubbing the rag on one of the does. More or less turning the doe into a buck and see what happens. Might wanna moisten the doe first so you get a good scent transfer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts