when to whether

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Thanatos, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    We are gonna keep all of the kiddies this year so I will need to wether 2 of them. I was told the best is to wait untill they can extend their penises then wether. I was told this both helps with calculi and if needed the treatment of them(clip clip). As I am anxious to get it over with just curious as to how long till this happens? A month?

2. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    I usually wait till around the time I pull them off the mom.

Sorry was tired and didnt notice I put down whether to the answer. Sometimes i hate working nights.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Each goat is different as to how fast they mature. But I wether at 7-8 weeks

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I band my boys at about three months, unless I see they are developing faster, then I will do it no earlier then 10 weeks.

Thanks for reminding me, I have a rather big boy that is needing to be banded in a week or two.

5. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    The buck kid that was castrated today was done at 2 wks old. I use to wait until they were around 3 mos old but some of those Nubian boys have big testicles by then....makes it harder to fit in the bander! LOL I've decided all kids will be done by 6wks old...That way they aren't too big (to fit in the bander) nor too big to hold still.

6. coltrule

coltrule New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    AR
    I usally do mine at 2-3 weeks old but depends hoe the kid is doing if is sick or frail and not big wait a few weeks but if he is good and strong then do him i waited a 2 months last year and after an hour i removed the band because it was hurting him real bad.

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    So just keep an eye on it. How young can they potentially breed to their cousin the three leeged girl