When will my doe dry up

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CarolinesNubians, Aug 3, 2020.

1. CarolinesNubians

CarolinesNubians New Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Oregon
    A vet came out to castrate some bucklings and also advised that I take my two 5 month old bucklings off of my Nubian doe. The next day I separated her from the bucklings, almost a week ago. She was never being milked so I haven’t supplemented milking, but I’m just really anxious about mastitis as I’ve never handled it before. Her udder appears to be getting smaller and she’s acting the same, but when will she dry up and not be a worry for mastitis? Tomorrow it will have been a week, I don’t know when to expect her udder to be empty. I’ve never dealt with drying up a doe before so advice is appreciated.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would milk her out and see if she is OK and doesn't have mastitis.

Some think, they will just dry up and be OK, but that is asking for mastitis IMO.
    Nothing worse than when they are ready to kid again and explode with mastitis just before or after they kid.
    Not able to feed their new babies.

If you just leave her be and just want to allow he to dry off on her own, her milk volume will take a lot longer to shrink.

I milk out every 4 days and only feed oat, rye hay, no grain. You will get less and less milk that way. Plus all her milk is cleared out and you can keep an eye on mastitis as well.

Remove her from a pasture helps as well.

Iluvlilly! likes this.

3. CarolinesNubians

CarolinesNubians New Member

Aug 3, 2020
    Oregon
    Okay, today I’ll milk her out then! I hope she hasn’t developed mastitis already, but if she has then I’ll know. It feels much safer to play an active role in the drying up so if anything is going wrong I’ll know. Thank you!

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good luck and you are welcome. ;)