The Goat Spot Forum banner

When will she leave?

714 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
Gemma is a FF who gave birth 24 - 36 hours ago. She is a great mum, baby is feeding well. Gemma is very attentive to the point she won't leave bubs alone and go and eat herself. Is this normal? She won't let him come out of the shed to go with her either. I can tell she really wants to go - she talks to him as she walks to the door of the shed towards the paddock. If he doesn't answer, she goes back and talks to him until he does. If he does answer, she goes back in to him as well! I have been taking her some grain but I can tell she really wants to go and browse.

#4 ·
Thanks Liz. I knew she wouldn't starve herself but as this is the first time for all of us, I am curious to know what is 'normal' so that I can be on the lookout for abnormal.

#5 ·
You can actually see this as a Godsend! Gemma may be a bit more attentive than some FF are and that is a good thing. With future freshenings her instinct to mother may or may not lessen. It is normal though that all goat moms usually keep close tabs on their kids til at least a week old, some a bit longer but that first week is a " wheres my baby? he needs to eat NOW...If I leave somethin's gonna get my kid" insanity for the new mom, experienced or not.

#6 ·
totally agree with Liz on this.

I love when I see them being so attentive but I hate when they dotn eat too. So I just pamper mom giving her molasses water to make sure she drinks and I give her all sort of grain and hay throughout the day in all sorts of odd places so nomatter where the babies end up she can be close by and eat :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.