The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparantly some of one of the evil peach trees down the back re-grew a little bit without me noticing, because Thom wandered away and I followed him to find him rip off and swallow a peach leaf :eek:

I had a mini panic, tried to pull it out of his mouth but it was already gone, so I herded them up to their night time pen and locked them in and took out every last trace of regrown branch and leaf.

I let them back out and kept and eye on him, he seemed okay but you know, I still had that horrible feeling I was going to walk out later and find him dead.
I fell asleep inside earlier and woke up panicking because I hadn't checked and he was completely fine :cool:

I felt compelled to make this because I was just so relieved and happy.

Sorry for the rambles, but I now understand how you guys feels when someone happens and you make frantic posts to see if they're okay.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Bahahaha I laughed aloud at this!!!!! Too funny. Silly Thomas :p

These goats really enjoy giving their owners heart attacks... Glad yours is fine!

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He didn't understand why I was yelling and running and flapping my arms like an idiot :laugh:

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I started goats with Nigerians, imagine my surprise when I found Lucy and Sophie Alpine reaching over the fence line to eat the leaves off the peach tree! "No harm, no foul"...every one was fine.

But, yeah, we do get a little "freaky" on occasion. Glad you goat is fine.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
glad everything was alright! they're stinkers, aren't they???

i read somewhere that because goats are browsers, a lot of the time when they eat something poisonous, they'll eat enough to make them sick and discourage them from eating it later.

however, with that said, my goats LOVE avocado leaves and bark. it freaks me out everytime i see them eat it (and there has been instances where they eat a LOT of it), and they've been fine so far. i don't let them, but like you....i've tried pulling leaves out of their mouths, to no avail!! and yes, also times with the running and arm flapping...LOL!

·
goat girl x0x0
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew in the back of my mind that a healthy, fresh leaf isn't harmful, only when the plant is stressed. but all I could think was "HOW DO I KNOW IF A PLANT IS UNDER STRESS?!" :laugh:

I guess a little nibble here and there doesn't hurt anybody. I just wish they had a natural wiring in their brains to just not touch it :c They have so many other things to eat and they go straight for the things that can potentially kill them

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know this is old, but someone might search for the answer. In my experience, my goats love the leaves when they are green and they will turn their noses up at them when it's fall and they've changed colors. This seems to go along with all the research I read that said the poison comes up when the leaves are changing and starting to die. My goats don't like them at all then. Crazy about them when it's summer and they are green. The danger with them would be if a tree fell over and all the leaves started turning and the goats didn't have plenty of other stuff to eat. That's just my experience, ymmv.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts