The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking ahead here. We typically go on over night road trips during cooler weather. We're gone about 2 nights, sometimes 3. I leave my chickens in their coop, with several waters and lots of food. They always do okay.

What if I have 2 nigerian dwarfs? I think I would need someone to come check on them once a day? Would once a day be sufficient to feed, water and let them out of the barn for an hour or so? What do y'all do to make sure your animals are taken care of when you go out of town?

·
Super Moderator
59,730 Posts
Will the goats just be pets? Whether they need once a day care or multiple times per day would depend on what they are used for. The couple times we actually left the farm, we had a farm sitter who stayed at the house so the animals would be checked multiple times per day. But I had pregnant females and moms with babies.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Just pets would probably be okay with once a day care. Stuff the feeders full of hay, make sure they had plenty of water and minerals, and give them their grain if they get grain.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I remember short trips. They were fun. Until I came home.

Reactions: friesian49

·
2,203 Posts
We have to have a chore person here when we leave, which I absolutely hate.

We have over 200 total chickens to feed, show heifers to grain, goats to milk (except late fall through spring), and cats to take care of inside. It's a scary thought for me to leave the property. Not many people are reliable enough for me to allow to do my chores.

We have left twice for over 3 days in the last year. Both times the milkers were dry. I came back one day, and my heifer had been tied (by someone, not us) in the shed, had freaked out over something, and flipped herself and broke a wall. Cut her leg open, ripped a tag out of her ear, and when I came home I found a rope outside her pen as well as her rope halter (brand new) cut in three pieces. Of course nobody knew what happened.

Second time I had a "reliable" cousin looking for some cash. This was middle of winter. Only instructions were to grain (already measured out in pans for the days I would be gone with labels and big tags on all the livestock with names), keep hay in front of them, and make sure to give warm water at noon, along with making sure enough water was in the tanks for the heaters to work properly. They never even showed up. I called every day and they always said everything was good, no problems. One day he even said my buck got out and he had to fix a hole in the fence. I came home to a disaster. Thank gosh we do bedding packs in the winter, this is the only thing that saved everybody's rumen.

Nightmare!!

Always make sure you can count on someone and always have a backup as well.

Reactions: friesian49

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
They never even showed up. I called every day and they always said everything was good, no problems.
What a horror show!
I hope you never paid him. what is wrong with people?

I have my Mom that wants to help me. I will only schedule to leave when she's able to be here. There really isn't anyone else I trust to do this.

·
558 Posts
We plan on asking our neighbor or a teenager that lives nearby if/when we go out of town for a few days to let them out in the morning and fill water/check hay and then lock them in the barn at night and again check water and hay. If they are just going to be pets, and you only have a couple I think that would be enough and should only take someone a few minutes in the am and pm each day. But I agree, make sure it is someone you can trust and make sure they are aware of the signs/symptoms of a sick goat to let you know if there is a problem.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
wow...this is what I worry about when we go away.

last year we went away had people house sit...they pretty much used and abused the house, left it SOOOO dirty, and drank ALL the alcohol. our animals were alive, but they overfed the dogs, and who knows what happened with the goats...they were at least alive when we got back, but I know they got loose as we found berries around where they weren't supposed to be.

i'm leaving in Aug for 2.5 weeks, and I worry that my bf won't stick to the various schedules with the goats. he's pretty hands off when i'm around as i'm the animal girl and he's the plant guy. guess i'll just have to trust him!

I just had a business idea...wouldn't it be great if there was a company that offers farm sitting service? like how they have dog sitting in the city? what do you think??

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I get a 4Her to come check on the goats. It realy depends on when you are leaving. For me if I had to leave during kidding I pay them to stay the night and check on them through the night.

If it is before the grass is coming in I put out a few bales of hay in the feeder and have them come check them once a day, summer same thing, but I don't put out hay.

·
2,203 Posts
What a horror show!
I hope you never paid him. what is wrong with people?

I have my Mom that wants to help me. I will only schedule to leave when she's able to be here. There really isn't anyone else I trust to do this.
No I absolutely downright refused to pay. They had no excuse. I have since de-owned them as my cousin.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My parents would be able to come check on them once a day but not twice because they live about 25 miles away. I think it would be too much to ask them come 2x/day. I have no neighbors that I trust enough to take care of them. Hopefully just once a day would do good. They would have free roam of our large horse barn while we are gone. I wouldn't trust them to be out while we are gone. I hope this would work out. I don't want to give up our road trips.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't go out of town. I have not been off my place overnight since the girls got here 5 years ago. It's not worth it to me - too many things can happen. I live a hop, skip and jump from the BNSF railroad tracks, and just beyond that is a very busy 4 lane highway. I am also surrounded by alfalfa and grain fields to the east, west, and south. If someone should forget to chain a gate and the girls wandered out there, it would be a disaster. They are my goats, they are my responsibility.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am blessed enough to live beside my parents. My dad always takes care of my goats and chickens while I'm away. My dad hung the moon by the way! :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
go out of town? you mean without the goats? unless you have family members and i do mean immediate family members, you will probably only be going to goat shows from now on. goats are like children and dogs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
See, this is what bothers me too! Hard enough to find a reliable person to do the chickens and ducks....most of the time they are idiots, do a crap job and I never hire them again. Last time it was over Thanksgiving, hired one of my daycare kids parents as they have chickens and live nearby. Not only were my chickens uncared for, they got out and our home was burglarized(not by the parents) AND they didn't notice or check when they noticed backdoor was open....just thought we got home early....
We got away twice a year for 4-5 days. When we go this Summer, we are trying a new person for a 2 nighter as it is a quick family trip we have to do(parents 50th anniv) and we will give new person a try. IF they do well, we will hire them for our late Summer vaca. If they suck....back to looking....
Now, if I add 2 penned mini goats to this mix.....they HAVE to come and be reliable.
Jeez, I was a pet sitter for all the neighbors growing up and I not only went as directed but left house is better condition. I took out trash, vacuumed, etc. Pets were happy and cared for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone taken their goats with them on a trip, like camping?
We take the dogs, this year we are taking the rats as I would prefer nobody have a key to the house....
Just wondering if anyone has taken their goats(if you have a couple or so) on your trip?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have two very hardy male goats as pets. They are fenced in on about 2 acres on our property. Since we have absolutely not rainfall this year, they have munched every single thing in the pasture to the ground. I am now feeding them orchard grass hay. We leave for 5 days and was wondering if I can just put a whole bale out in their pasture while we are gone. they have a self waterer so no issue with that.
I can have a neighbor check in make sure they are still standing but they are super independent and healthy. Is the bale ok to do?
Thank you

1 - 20 of 31 Posts