The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first time EVER we have decided to keep 2 bucklings form our kiddings in Spring 2020.

Angus is an F1 mini LaMancha born April 14. So he's currently a solid 4 months old.

Tick (aka "Mr. Tickles") is also an F1 mini, but he is 3/4 Nigerian and 1/4 LaMancha. He was born May 6. So he's 3 and 1/2 months old.

We're hoping to use both of them for breeding in November, but - considering that most folks here have bucks in full rut - they don't seem even close to ready. Which I find weird because I've had Nigerian bucklings before that acted very bucky by 8 weeks.

These 2 are much more interested in trees and hay and Cheerios than in the girls who are having heats. They don't blubber. They don't pee anywhere odd. They don't chase does. And they only mount when jockying for dominance with each other.

I'm especially surprised that Tick is so reserved, considering his high percentage of Nigerian blood.

What are the chances these guys are gonna be ready by November?????

Currently they get a little grain (with ac) in the morning, alfalfa pellets at night and all the grass hay they want. They also get to browse here and there. They get plenty of water with acv. Loose minerals always available; Replamin Plus once a week. They just got their very first dose of copper today.

Coats are shiny and nice (I did copper because the tails are starting to show signs of deficiency). No wormload.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, we'll be leasing a Nigey buck for the Nigerian gals. So we can handily use him if we need to. It's just that my daughter was SO hoping to get some F2s this season. We actually have a real live MDGA show here next year!

We're planning to breed Angus to our unrelated F1 doe. His conformation has everything hers lacks. And we're optimistically (probably overly so) hoping to breed little Tick to our full-blood Lamancha. even though she towers over him right now. That would make their babies...um ...Let's see 100% LaMancha plus (1/4 LaMancha and 3/4 Nigerian) =something closer to a 1/2 and 1/2. (My last child just graduated, so I don't have to DO math no more. Don't have to speak good English either! JK!)

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have two full ND intact bucklings that are about the same age as your boys. They’re not exhibiting any signs of rut either, but they’re also not exposed to any does. My buckling from last year (born in April 2019) didn’t show any signs of rut at this time last year. However, he did breed several does (later in the season) and once he was big enough to go in with the bucks he went into rut and never seemed to come out of it, lol.

Hopefully your boys will be ready, but if not at least you have a backup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts