Where are mini nubians in Ohio??

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by JessaLynn, Sep 2, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    So still new to goats (don't have any yet) and deciding on the right breed for us.We want a small milking goat and love mini nubians.Where o where can they be?? I havent had much luck finding any for sale in NW Ohio.I don't need them till spring so time is what I got but really thinking if it's this hard to find them then I should get a buck to :help: anyone?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dont know of any mini breeders but you could try Elyia on here who raises them in Michigan and she should know as she is on the board for the Mini Goat Registry (or something like that)

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    grandmajo has some! Perhaps try to PM her. She is in NW Ohio. ;) :greengrin:

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thanks I'm gonna check it out.Got the shed cleaned out today and I was given a huge wooden privacy fence with two gates to use for our new goaties!! :leap: Gonna put the fence up in the next week or two so it's ready for them.I also bought a couple books to read when I'm not on here :) Now got to convince hubby I need a hay rack built soon as the fence is up.heehee not asking much am I :) He don't mind whatever keeps me happy he says.Thanks again for everyones help. Happily searching for our new babies! :dance:

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh cool! Cant wait to hear what goaties you get :D

7. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Eliya is from Eau Claire, WI and that's to far a drive for me to buy one from her :( She has some very nice goats and wish she were closer.
    grandmajo has kinders which I may consider but I did want mini nubians.
    Tried the link and the only one that has some possibles are 3 hrs away so have to give that one a thought.So still searching :coffee2:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well have you contacte Eliya? she is well connected in the mini nubian world from what I gather so she should be able to direct you to someone near you hopefully

9. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    There is a user with the name "Amy Goatress" that raises Mini Nubians in Ohio. She has not been on TGS in a while, but she does have a website:

http://www.freewebs.com/pinepodfarm/

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    May have found some and only alittle over an hour drive!
    Here's her website http://www.kefirlady.com/goats2009.htm
    She said she would breed two does for me with a buck of my choice before they left.Hmmm that's tempting! They aren't registered which I'm not sure I care much for that as we just want milk from them anyhow.She said price wise starting at $150 and up.Good or no? I have her sending me pictures of the ones shes willing to sell.So here's hoping!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt pay more then 150 for an unregistered doe but bred would be a little extra usualy.

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I personally wouldn't pay over $150 for a grade doe. Bred or not. I know that would work for some people, but it just doesn't for me. I like to know where each of my goats come from, where their parents come from, etc. I am a lineage freak.

And one thing is, whether you show the does or not, is a good udder. And to detemine that you have to look at all the does in both the doe's pedigree as well as the sire's. Now, if when you look at the sire's dam's udder and see an improvement over the doe (or if the doe hasn't freshened yet, her dam's). Good udders are important, like plump teats, to make milking easier.

Just some of my 2 cents worth. But if you think these people would be a good fit I say go for it. I think, by looking at their animals, they maybe just right for you. Just make sure the ones you get are people friendly! Especially if they are going to be pets. :wink: :greengrin:

Wishing the best and that it'll work out! :dance: :)

13. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I tried putting a picture on here but the file is to big.Anyhow I'm gonna see if she would go down in price because it does seem alittle high to me to.Also the ones I really like of hers aren't even mini nub, they are nigerian dwarfs.They can't be bred till January she said because of being to young so that's out of the question for now.So if we got two unregisterd nigerian dwarf does, how much would you pay? Couldn't find any info about the parents on her site and waiting for a reply still.People can lie though and I know that's the downside to buying unregisterd :scratch: Also with me not knowing to much what to look for in a good milking goat I am alittle nieve I guess.So lost abit what to do at this point.Thanks for the tips rowdykidz.I get anxious and just see how cute these ones are but need to be reminded about that stuff because it's what matters overall.

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Even if you are not looking for registered goats,$150.00 is higher than I would pay for unregistered crosses.

You can always do what I did, I got a nigi/pygmy cross doe first as a pet, then added an unregistered pygmy doe to be her buddy. Then I got a nigi/pygmy buckling and went from there....my 2 "pet does" had plenty as far as udders went, so I started milking them. Kept a doeling from the 2nd freshening sold the buck and got a pygmy buck a year later...then had 3 does in milk and the kids went as mini pets. I do not sell my cross does for more than $85. Pet quality purebred nigi's are $125.

15. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
  16. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Well couldn't get her to go down in price any unless I bought 2 more goats from her which I don't want to spend $450 for 4 goats that aren't registered,no shots,not wormed nothing! So wondering why so high? Anyhow So the search goes on but I know I will find some.I don't mind spending that much but I want to be sure it's what I want.I have two more in question but again high $150 unregistered and $225 registerd.I asked to see if she would go less if I got them both unregisterd as right now we aren't looking to show for another 2 years possibly longer so doesn't matter.We just want milk and pets :) I want to be sure also they have been tested negative for diseases that I keep seeing that goats can get. :coffee2:

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm thats odd - I always give a discount if purchasing more then just one. Not much of a discount but like 25.00 usually - but every has their own business practices and what works for them.

If you like a mini nubian dont settle for anything less then what you want -- you will end up feeling trapped because you fall in love with them but they arent what you want.

The right goats will come your way, you will find them

18. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yeah your right.I need to be patient.I have chicks hatching in 2 days so plenty to keep me busy so I'm not running to see if any are for sale.My cousin is giving us a BUNCH of chain link fencing with posts!!! My uncle and him own a fencing company and this is fence they tore down but still in really good condition.I'm thrilled!! I have all I need and so very lucky I could scream!!! :leap: I'm so excited to get started but dang rain rain all day and busy most the week as well darn it! Thanks for all the help and will not compromise for anything less then exactly what I want for sure! Will keep an update :wahoo:

19. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I know you said that you didnt mind not having papers on them, but papers can be a wonderful thing, even for someone who doesnt show. papers show an animals pedigree for three or four generations and often have milk records on them. Knowing milk production on relitives is a huge thing when looking at potential production of your own goats. You also have to think into the future, to make milk goats have to have kids. What are you going to do each year? Twins are most commen but litters are not un-commen with mini nubians. I know Eliya had a doe who had six at once this last spring. Marketing kids that are or can be registered, you can market at more then the backyards breeder or home milker. You can market at show people. I know Eliya, is kind of far from you but a lot of people are willing to transport in exchange for some help with gas. Im in washington, and i got a buck kid from oregon a couple years ago, a friend of mine happened to be driving home from california and picked him up along the way for me.
    beth

20. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Good point thanks. I may really need to think about this alittle more I guess. Good thing I have all of you to show me the ropes or I would be in a heap of trouble! :grouphug: