where do you advertise your goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dragonfly farms, Jun 15, 2010.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I want to be careful about where I advertise my goats for sale so i avoid the creepy people that call. Where do you find that you have the best luck?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    through my website - but I have advertised on www.goatfinder.com before with some hits.

craigs list works -- but better for like wethers and pets then for show stock

3. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    The Market Bulletin put out by the WV State Dept. of Agriculture.

4. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I advertise on my website, local feed stores with bulletin boards, and through shows/fairs. Most of my show stock goes faster through the website and home milkers usually go from the feed stores (we live near lots of amish and they always want good milkers), and young animals go frequently from fairs and shows...thats just my experience.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have a website and get a lot of visitors each day as long as I keep it up to date. I also advertise on goatfinder.com, I think I'm on Dairy Goat Journal's links page, but you have to have a subscription to the magazine. I have also used, Kiji (sp), Craigslist, and there are several other goat websites that I'm on that I can't think of right now. Feed stores are a good place to put ads up too. And we go to the fair every year, put up and exibit with a bunch of nigerian dwarf goat information and pictures, give out business cards, and just talk with people. I've met several people at the fair who later purchased kids from us.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    craigslist, alaskaslist. and hopefully my website. right now I don't have to advertise, people call me constantly about goats

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    My website.... :wink: :greengrin:

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I don't advertise since I am just getting started. But I thought I'd say that I've had a lot of luck looking on craigslist. We found our first two girls on a Ky state boer breeders list that gives links to the breeders websites. We were looking in our area, and found the girls that way.
    We bought our buckling from someone who advertised on Craigslist. And.. we bought our last two does from another breeder who advertised on Craigslist.

I love looking on Craigslist. Of course there are always creeps out there no matter where you advertise. IMO, I'd probably not leave your phone # on craigslist, but instead have them email a reply to the ad. I'm always leary about leaving my phone # on sites like that, and rather have them email. They don't 'get' your real email, the reply goes through craigslist into your mail box. However, if you do reply to their email, then they'd get it. Most every time I've advertised anything on Craigslist, people contact me, and leave their phone # so I can call them. I can call, talk to them, and like the people we bought our goats from - they like to talk to people on the phone before having them come out so they can get a 'feel 'for whom they are welcoming onto their property.