Where do you buy 1/2 gln. Mason jars?

Discussion in 'Equipment For Sale' started by Cinder, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I need to purchase a bunch of 1/2 gallon Mason jars. Stores don't carry them around here until the fall so I'm looking on line. Does anyone know of a good place on line to buy them?

2. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Ah Shelly - you're good. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much! :)

3. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I need to order some too. I can't find any in the stores even during canning season. I'm think about some gallon jars for storage. Shelly

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I remember seeing them in the stores along time ago...but now that you said that I haven't seen them...

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I get them at my local feed stores.

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I just found out that Ace Hardware sells them on their web site and they will ship them free to the closest Ace and you can pick them up and not pay for shipping. That is, by far, the cheapest way I've found thus far.

7. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I found mine at walmart and have seen them at the grain store also

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    make sure and watch your local "craigslist" or penny pincher.

I see them all the time at yard sales also

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW....You're gonna want to shoot me!

When we bought this place 11 years ago, the "root cellar" was full of old canned(jarred)goods as well as tons of jars and jugs, nobody wanted these gallon/ half gallon jars when we cleaned out so we ended up throwing them away....with just the 2 of us it's too much waste to can in anything other than pints.

10. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Oh Liz! How could you? :) You know the old saying... one man's junk is another man's treasure. I wish I could find someone around here that just wanted to get rid of a bunch of 1/2 gallon or even gallon jars.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
  12. Rainboweggs

Rainboweggs New Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Our local True Value has the best supply of canning jars and accessories year round. I know you said your local stores didn't have what you were looking for but I thought I'd throw that out there in case you haven't tried TV and assuming there's one near you!
    Good luck!

13. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I happened to run across some at a feed store we hardly ever make it to. Snatched those puppies right up! Good luck finding them they are a godsend!

14. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I've seen them at the Rural King store in Angola, Indiana. If you're in Indiana, check your local one.

15. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Just a question to throw out there... what do you can in 1/2 and 1 gallon jars? Only thing I can think of that I would use that much of is pickles? Or maybe soup/stew? :?

16. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good question! I use em for milk. Those gal jars are just way too heavy & cumbersome when full.

17. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I was thinking of using some old pickle jars we have had sitting around for ages, we dont' have milk yet but will come next spring..... any problem you can think of with that?

18. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    He he. I was thinking of pickled eggs!

I know everyone hates Walmart, but they might have them.

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    jay13....the only problem with using pickle jars for milk is that no matter how well they are washed, they still tend to smell like pickles.

Trader Horn Stores carry the 1/2 gallon mason jars.