Where Do You Get.....

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Itchysmom, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I was wondering where you all get the supplies for milking? :whatgoat: I used to have a stainless steel bucket for the horses, but cannot find it now. I can't even remember where I got it! I am planning on looking at Wal Mart for the strainer someone mentioned. I was wondering if buying on line would be cheaper than looking at the feed stores for buckets. I know I could probubaly get a bucket at the local feed store, but what about the smaller bucket with a lid?

Are there good web stores I can look at? Any and all help is gretly appreciated as I want to start looking. My soon to be new doe will be able to be milked in a couple of weeks so I want to be ready!

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    You can get milking supplies just about anywhere. Here is what I have,

Bucket- This is a SS cook pot from WalMart. Its got high enough sides to keep it from being too wobbly.
    Filter- This is a permanent coffee filter. Filters out any stray hairs perfectly. I also got it at Walmart
    Teat dip- I use antibacterial wipes with aloe. These I get wherever is cheapest.
    Storage containers- I use canning jars in the fridge and Ziploc in the freezer. For the freezer I ONLY use ZIPLOC brand as the others do not seal well.

Milking supplies do not have to be expensive or fancy. You probably have things in your home right now that you could start with.
    Teat dip- a couple drops of antibacterial dish liquid in a small jar of water works well. Dry with a paper towel.
    Milk pan- use a very clean pot from under the cupboard or a glass jar, or even a cup(transfer to larger container. I use the cup with my kickers so I don't loose much. This is a little harder and takes a couple more hands but it does work.
    Strainer- Cheese cloth, or an old CLEAN piece of sheet or pillow case, small piece of muslin.

Back in the day the new fangled single purpose things were too expensive and folks used what they had.

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
  4. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thank you! I was wondering if I had to get stainless steel right off the bat. I do need to buy food ya know!

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, there's no need to spend a lot of money on milking supplies.

I have a 4 qt stainless steel bucket that I picked up from TSC for about $8. It was in the dog section. I found a stainless steel lid that fit it in my own cupboard at home. I use plain soapy water and clean wash cloths for udder washing. I use diluted bleach for teat dip and mix that in a baby food jar. I have one of the reusable stainless steel coffee filters that I use to strain the milk.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Just FYI...I have always been told NOT to dry teats after you dip them. The teat dip is most effective if left to dry on its own. If you dip and then wipe it off a few seconds later that is not enough time for antibacterials to work.

7. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Jeffers has the 6qt stainless buckets for 8.99 right now.

8. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010

Jeffers Supply had that same 2 quart bucket on sale, for $3.66. I needed something to bring my order up to $50 so i could get $10 off, and that fit the bill.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use the 4 qt stainless bucket I got from Tractor Supply in the dog dish section, I also use the filters from TSC...KenAg disk filters, I place these in a mini SS strainer from Walmart.... Baby wipes from Walmart for before and a solution of rubbing alcohol and glycerine for after.

10. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Thank you all for your replies! Lots of help!

11. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ
    Now I know where to buy!! lol :thumbup: