Where do you look for someone to transport your goats?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Idahodreamer, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

So I find a doe I want really, really, really, really, really BAD.
    She's not close enough to go pick up, and I don't know of anyone who is going to OR anytime soon.
    So where do you go to look for someone to transport goats for you?

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Uship.com, Hitch Hiking Horses (Yahoo group) This group. :- ) and word of mouth! I know of a few people who will be headed to Idaho in May from OR... but that is quite a ways off! :shrug:

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I have Ron on his way here. But he is spendy. Unfortunately unless you drive to get them shipping is NOT cheap at all. I would check with any other goat people near you and see if they want to split shipping costs. I would post ads to Craigslist. I wasn't able to take time to drive down to southern oregon earlier this year so I put an ad on uship and the lowest bid I got was $325. Maybe even post to horse website like www.dreamhorse.com, maybe you can get a ride with someone hauling horses, they would probably charge a lot less. I think shipping would probably be easier in the spring when there are lots of kids and people are generally buying more at that time so you could probably find someone to split shipping costs with. :shrug:

4. Yea, I heard Ron can be pricy but it depends. With larger goats he is definatly cheaper then shipping in the planes. The friend I have that uses him alot says it depends on the weight of the goat and the location. However goat at the airlines are normally 200+ plus the crate and something else. So it can get pricy either way you just have to look around and pick the best choice for that molment or situation. Sometimes you can get a breeder that is driving for theirselves to help too if you have one that does that. Just a thought.