Where does one find goats? and more Qs

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by mcarp, Jan 27, 2015.

1. mcarp

mcarp New Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Hi! I am new to goats and am looking for a couple (maybe 4) kids to keep on my homestead. I have done a tiny bit of research around breeds and I'm really interested in mini nubians. I couldn't care less about papers, but I do want to be able to kid a doe in a year or two to try my hand at milk. I am looking for any advice, but also, more importantly, where do I find these goats? Everywhere I look seems to selling purebred goats with papers, and I have to believe its cheeper to go the other way. Also, how much money should I put aside to spend on and care for these goats (organically) for say a year? Thanks in advance for any help.

-I am soooooo excited to join the goat-keeping world. :)

2. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    It is a fun world for sure! We need more information, like where you are, how big their area will be, available browse...

3. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Yep location would be good, as prices vary.

4. Escapegoat

Escapegoat Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Not to burst your bubble but Mini Nubians are sort of an up-and-coming breed, I am having a hard time finding papered/ registered does for sale near me, much less any that are cheap or paperless :/ however there are plenty of dairy crosses of all sizes that are good pruducers that can be found at a reasonable price. But then I don't know your area...
    Don't have enough info on your plans yet to tell you anything on cost of upkeep other this; Always more than you think! :grin: Anyway welcome to the wonderful world of goats!

5. mcarp

mcarp New Member

Jan 25, 2015
    I have 25 acres in north eastern Massachusetts. A large and empty chicken coop about 80 sq feet. (Thanks to the coyotes) Able to put up fencing no problem. I understand mini Nubians are tough to come by. I'm up for suggestions. We know we want dairy and are interested in medium size. But we're just homesteaders. We have three small children, a dog, two cats, and bees. Temperament is important. Thanks again for any help. :)

6. AncientBlue

AncientBlue Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Central Florida
    If you don't have your heart set on Mini Nubians, then try craigslist first. I see many people wanting to get rid of some I'd definitely consider buying. If I didn't have mine already, I'd consider this family of goats: http://daytona.craigslist.org/grd/4857146707.html

They are Nigerian/Nubian/Boer.

7. AncientBlue

AncientBlue Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Central Florida
    Oops, sorry, I guess that would be a bit far of a drive for you.

8. AncientBlue

AncientBlue Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Central Florida
  9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Most breeders are going to have lesser priced animals without papers than their top of the line registered that they need to move.
    Personally I would try to find those. You will get a quality animal perhaps not show worthy for whatever reason but would suit your needs.

10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Welcome!!! I agree with Nancy....get the best you can afford...always ask to see CAE negative reports

I sell my goats for the same price, papered or not...I go based on quality of the animal, not necessarly papers...
    I also just started breeding Mini Saanen and I can tell you , they will not sell cheap..the reason is we have to put alot in the breeding program. cull alot who dont make the cut and in the end each goat will have quite a bit of time, work and money in them HOWEVER in the culling process ( where those who dont make the cut) Will be sold based on there quality as a Dairy Goat...with no papers,,,and there one could get a nice goat of medium size for a great price...

A not toohuge dairy breed is Lamancha, if you like tiny ears...I love them!! Lamancha arent huge goats but have huge personalities, are good milkers ect...Saanen are the largest breed but are super docile and gentle..Nubians are beautiful, graceful and MOUTHY lol...Oberhasli are harder to find, but are nice animlas...a little more high strung at times and Alpine..well I have seen some pretty large girls...All in all you have tons of choices...if you are not set on any one breed, good crosses are Nubian Lamamcha...they are my favorite cross..A cross dairy might cost you less then a full blood??

11. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    Too bad you aren't in NC! We got our first goats last year from a small dairy nearby. They're unregistered mini Nubians and we got them for $50 each as month-old bottle babies, just because the dairy needed to move the kids. If there are any goat dairies in your area, you might want to check with them and see what they raise.