The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We recently purchased a horse trailer and cannot find the VIN/serial number. We need it for registration purposes. Its a really old model... not sure what year but it looks old. Unfortunately the manufacturer is out of business now

We've looked on the axle, nose, neck.... pretty much everywhere. I'm wondering if I'm missing something?

·
Super Moderator
59,784 Posts
If it is that old, it may have been worn off. Did the person you purchase it from have any records? If they had a license for it, there should be a vin number on the license registration.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said there was a title but now they can't find it. The mans niece was selling it since his wife had died and she said her.uncle had the title and now he either won't look for it, doesn't have it or just can't find it. We have a written agreement with her signature and his saying the title and all things required for transfer would be given to use within thirty days of the sell.

My dad said he wanted to make sure there was a VIN

·
Super Moderator
59,784 Posts
Mine is on the nose where the hitch is, on the side. But not sure if that is where they are generally put. My trailer is about 12 years old and you can barely see the info.

·
14,802 Posts
Oh wow. Hmmm... can you get plates for it without that information? Can they do an inspection, etc? Or does that get costly and complicated? If there is a signed paper then they need to uphold their end of the deal.

In KY you don't have to have a license plate for your trailer. so the trailer we bought has no tags. I don't even know what it would take to get tags for it without previously having them.

·
Administrator
84,649 Posts
Maybe see, if seller will work with you, for lost title, if it can't be found. If the trailer belonged to a person that died, the person who has power of attorney, needs to be the seller of this trailer.

I would go down to DMV with them and the trailer and get some answers.
otherwise, they are not selling to you, a trailer that is road worthy. :(

I wouldn't wait 1 month. They wouldn't of recieved any money, until all talked to DMV and was straightened out first, but just me.;)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In NC it has to have tags. I think there is a way to get them but not sure how much it would cost.

We already paid them with the written agreement for a clear title. So we should be able to get it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts