Where to get kelp?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by lisatn, Aug 13, 2010.

1. lisatn

lisatn New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Does anyone have a good kelp supplier?

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I order it from Hoeggers. I don't use very much of it, otherwise it would be pretty expensive. I don't think I can get it locally around here.

Jan

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    We got ours from Caprine. We don't use a lot of it, though. I prefer Clovite instead (my local feed store ordered it for me).

-Tina

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i would say go collect some.. but... i'm only an hour from the ocean .. so its easier forme

5. lisatn

lisatn New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thanks for the replies I was looking at Hoeggers or Countryside for the Kelp but the shipping is about the same as the product. I have recently started giving Clovite about a week ago on the suggestion of my horse expert boyfriend. Have you used it very long and would you say you can see good results? I have a couple of does with course horse like coats, but the rest are really nice and soft and shinny. I give Coop forage loose minerals, Sweetlix meat maker in the tub(recently added) and feed everyone a mixture of 1 part Noble Goat mix/1 part BOSS/3 parts alfalfa pellets (2x daily) and then mixed hay 2x a day. I have just started showing this summer and was looking to improve coats and shine.
    Thanks so much,
    Lisa

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what are the benefits of kelp?

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Great question Katrina....I would love to know myself.... :wink: :greengrin:

9. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Here's a little clip from the thorvin kelp page, above: "Kelps are among the most useful species of seaweeds. The most valuable kelps grow in cold, mineral-rich waters and grow more slowly. These kelps collect minerals, vitamins, enzymes, amino acids and other beneficial bioactive properties."

They are loaded with vitamins and minerals.

Jan

10. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I buy my kelp from the Asian Market in Atlanta. I get the 9 pack which is wrapped into 9 seprate sealed packs. (stays fresh) Tastes ok too. (why should the goats get all the treats) They will run you over for it. I give it about once a month or so. I think I paid $3.00 for it. They have big bags of it, I just like the idea of it being kept "fresh" and not going "stale". Plus you don't smell it when it's nice and sealed up. :greengrin:

Gina