Where to keep a buck? (added barn photos for interest)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Jan 15, 2009.

1. In the same shed as the does

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. In the chicken shed "empty" area

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. In a shack next to the orchard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It doesnt matter

14.3%
  5. Right the other side of the property

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. In the same shed during the spring/summer, different in winter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The does' milk will be strong smelling/flavoured if the buck is near

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The buck will not affect the quality of the milk

85.7%
  1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Ok... now that I'm getting a buck, I need to decide on where to put him. At the moment I have a large barn - the goat pens - 4 of them - are at one end, and at the other end there is space for sheep, cows, etc. Behind the barn there are 2 large polythene tunnels where we grow stuffs like tomatoes in the summer. Beside the tunnels is a decently sized apple orchard. Beside the orchard is the shed where we keep the chickens. In front of that, is the crush area, which is in the barn. Heck, I'll draw it on Paint.

Key: Red lines are gates, blue lines are doors to buildings
    Yellow is shaded area of animal-buildings

[​IMG]

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Re: Where to keep a buck?

to give you an idea of scale... the width of the area the does are in is 14ft. No idea of the length - at least twice that.
    There are 50 chickens kept in the chicken shed area - although they are free-range during the day.

I could put the buck in the same barn as the does - one end, or the other, or wherever - except for where the feed is kept, and the tools are kept (different rooms with block walls)

I could build a pen for him in the empty area (well full of sawdust just now) beside where the chickens are kept

OR I could build a little shack for him in the path area next to the orchard.

Thoughts??

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

actual barn layout:

[​IMG]

4. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

I'd keep him in the spot marked chickens/empty.

I noticed with Matilda that when she was sharing a fenceline contact with a buck, the milk had a slight but not offensive buck flavour. At the moment I have anna and the bucks separated by about 6 metres, and am not getting a taint, so I think the key is just not where they can touch each other through a fence or whatever.

5. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota

I must say LW, I love your set up!

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

You have plenty of space put him wherever you would want!

He is a goat, regardless of being a smelly buck so you don't want him to feel isolated until you want his services.

I have my bucks in the same barn as my does, though they are separated by full walls with "windows" cut out to fill hay racks without walking AROUND the barn in the dark, my does share a fencline also and I've never had bucky milk.....maybe I'm just lucky there :shrug:

You can either make him a stall in the far corner that would be sheep by your feed room and a separate pen to the outside or see how he would do with the sheep in the pasture...if you have them contained.

7. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia

I think in the barn where the would be sheep areas are

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

my bucks are 15-20 ft from all my does.. and i've never had grosso milk.. but i would say the chicken spot would work well

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

that is a good point about not wanting him to get lonely, I guess I just assumed he would have a wether friend (you know what they say when you assume, you make a ... butt ... out of you and me)

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

Buckly shares a fence line with the others now. I sure hope I don't get goaty milk. :pray:

11. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

This appears to be a fairly inconclusive poll :greengrin: I guess I'll have to make the decision... at the moment I'm looking into putting him next to the chickens. Considering the chickens are free range he'll get lots of fowl company *winces at bad pun*

He'll be able to hear the other goats (especially Isa, who screams all day, every day) and hopefully in the spring/summer months he can move closer to the other goats. ATM I cant afford to keep a wether but in the future maybe :shrug:

12. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

Ok here are a couple of pics of the barn setup, just for... interest

featured goat is Isa... featured sheep are sheep :roll:
    [​IMG]

here's the narrow end of the barn with the goat pens

featured father is mine... :greengrin:
    [​IMG]

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member