The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out with 3 triplet wethers as my first goats, as I was just planning on keeping goats as pets. 2 years later I now have 5 does and a buck(and counting lol). If I had known I was going to breed, I would not have gotten wethers, but they really are great goats, and I adore them, so they are here for good...I'll just have to find a good situation for them here.

They currently share the main pen with 3 of my girls, while my buck and the other 2 girls are together. They do pester the girls occasionally, especially when they are in heat, but for the most part they behave themselves. It is kind of an inconvenience feeding because they can't have grain. It's manageable right now because I just have one confirmed pregnant doe, who I bring in the feed room to eat, but I could see it being much more annoying when I have multiple pregnant girls.
I was planning on putting them in with Zuko, my buck, but I worry about one of my boys. Andy has issues with his knees. He hobbles around like he is on peg legs and can have a hard time keeping up. He's young (only 2) and is a big boy, but I worry he would be pushed around too much with those knees.
Zuko is only 8 months and can't really do any real damage right now, aside from being annoying. When he gets bigger and stronger I could see issues arising. The other 2 boys I'm sure would be able to hold their own, but I can't/won't separate the 3. They have never spent a day apart and are incredibly attached to each other.
What does everyone do with their wethers? Do you keep them with your does, or your bucks?
Pics of said boys: Andy, Ollie, and Potter, because they are cute :)
Wood Fence Fawn Tints and shades Snout
Eye Vertebrate Working animal Fawn Wood
Eye Goat Wood Sheep Sheep
Vertebrate Working animal Mammal Terrestrial animal Fawn

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
They are all so cute!!! :inlove: I am glad allyour boys get to stay!

My wether has his own stall at night, so I can control his supper and breakfast. In the daytime he is with the girls.
He has been very useful as a babysitter at weaning time, as well as a companion to my buck (in the summer only).
Currently my wether is in with the girls full time, since the buck has contaminated both boy stalls with mites. The girls get their grain on the milk stand, and I tie him up to a feeder twice a day while I milk, so he doesn’t add to the melee.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.