where to start, new to goats...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by raftert, Apr 15, 2009.

1. raftert

raftert New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Hi everyone, I have been reading non-stop since I found this forum, but there is so much information! lol I have a number of questions, but will start with the most pressing ones, which relate to pregnancy. I have a buck of unknown age who came here with a rescue mare. He seemed quite lonely, so I found two does and brought them home a week after he arrived. I was not concerned about having them together, as I am hoping for some kids, BUT prior to putting them together I had been told by a number of different people that they only breed in the fall. Now that I have found this forum, that is obviously not true.

Because I thought the does wouldn't cycle until fall I was not watching for them to come into heat (season?). But I have read enough on here to now think that there would be a very good chance that putting the does in with the buck would have likely brought them in, would that be a correct assumption?

I didn't see any breeding happen but I was not watching for it either. At one point I thought that one of the does had changed in appearance in her vulva/anus area, but didn't give it much thought. So I am wondering how soon I can tell if she/they are bred? I brought them home on March 4th. Neither of the does has a milk bag but they both have teats that hang down, the teats are flat and empty.

I also wanted to ask about the appearance of one doe at different times throughout the day. During the night they are locked in a pen and have some hay that they pick at. I let them out in the morning about 8am and they spend the day at a round bale until about 8pm. I have noticed that the one doe seems to be very wide through her upper flank area (flattens out across her back) at different points throughout the day and at other times she seems more sunken in. Is this just different stages of the digestive process or does it sound strange?

Thanks so much for any help! Tamara

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well depending on the breed of your goat/s their breeding seasons will be different. a boer,nigerian will have year round breeding capabilities. but the swiss breeds are seasonal, usually sept-jan.

if you dont know the breed, post a pic and i betcha we could tell you.

Welcome!
    katrina

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    Hi and welcome to TGS!!

What kind of goats do you have? Most dairy goats do not cycle until the fall, but meat goats cycle every 21 days, just to add to the confusion :thumb: Maybe I should clarify and say that pygmy goats cycle every 21 days, I don't know a lot about Boers.

4. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Welcome!! We would love to see pics of your guys!

I have one suggestion about just putting a buck with does, it is pain months later when you are trying to figure out when they should be kidding but you don't know what date you are on and just have to guess when they are going to kid. Just my experience, as I have a doe that I am not sure when she was bred because she lived with a buck. I was trying to look for signs that she was bred, but so far she has gone past all of the dates I wrote down. Just one person's experience.

Also something to think about is what the weather will be line in 5 months. For me that starting to get cold and I would have to be milking as it gets colder and colder and I would have to find homes for kids at a time when many people don't want to be buying extra animals that need care in the winter. Just some things to think about. I can't see where you are from so that may not be a problem.

It would be very early, if they were bred, to be seeing changes in their udder.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, what everybody else said--certain breeds of goats only cycle in the fall/winter, but others cycle continuously.

To answer the other question--a round appearance is normal after goats eat a lot...I like to call it hay belly. As long as the goat does not seem to be in distress, it's no cause for concern. I like to keep baking soda out free-choice just incase one gets a "belly ache". Baking soda is like an antacid for goats.

6. raftert

raftert New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I just went outside to take some pictures. I guess I should mention that I am a "farm" kid (just not so young now :wink: ) so I have animal experience at least. I did know that goats had a 5 month gestation, so I was planning to move the buck from August to November, as I wouldn't want kidding (right term?) before April. I am in BC Canada, so cold winters. Had I known there was the chance that the does would cycle year round I would have paid more attention.

As far as I know al three goats are probably cross bred.....but I have pictures now and was hoping I could get some breed estimations. lol

I don't know how to attach more than one picture, so will have to do this the hard way. Below is the first doe - Breezy. I was told she was a 2 year old Nubian X Pygmy cross, but even I thought her color sure said Boer cross....

Attached Files:

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    She looks Pygmy x Boer to me.
    When did you get them all?

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    he said he got them March 4th ;)

Sounds like you might want to count of 150 days from when you got the girls just so you have a date for the very earliest possible due date.

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Obviously someones ahead of me today. :ROFL:
    Thank you Stacey.. I'm getting as bad as Keren.. but don't tell her that XD

10. raftert

raftert New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    This is Daisy Mae, she is supposed to be a 1 year old Pygmy.

Attached Files:

11. raftert

raftert New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    This my Buck - Billy. I have no information about him at all.

Attached Files:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup first doe is a boer or boer mix

second doe is a pygmy or pygmy mix

buck looks pygmy, pygmy mix or nigieran dwarf

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with stacey.... :wink:

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I agree with stacey.... :wink:

[/quote:4q4czg3b]
    And I agree with pam, who agrees with stacey...lol.

15. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    And I agree with Katrina who agrees with Pam who agrees with Stacey :ROFL:

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Im glad we all agree :wink:

17. raftert

raftert New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    lol. At least I wasn't wrong about thinking Breezy didn't look like a Nubian cross so much as a Boer cross. So, since everyone is agreeing on the breeds, am I looking at does that should cycle every 21 days then? The does have been here for exactly 42 days yesterday, so I guess they have had time for at least one cycle but maybe not two depending on when thet came in the first time. If they have a 21 day cycle, would they cycle all year or would they not be inclined to come in during winter? I took some pooch pics last night too, would it be too soon for tose to be of any benefit?

18. raftert

raftert New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I thought of another question...of many to come I'm sure :? lol

Is there any way to age goats? I know with sheep you can age them up to about 4 years with their lower incisors, can you do that with goats too? My husband is quite an avid hunter and he was trying to age Billy by his horn growth, as you can do that with wild goats, would that work for domestic goats too? It would be nice to have a rough idea of how old he is, how long do goats typically live?

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you age goats by their teeth up to about 5 years old.

dont know about horns....they usualy grow fairly fast and he could easily be just a youngin at a year old or be older like 3

Goats live usualy till they are 9-16 -- wethers tend to live longer.

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all I would like to welcome you to the Goat Spot :wave: and second of all, you have some adorable goats there.
    I have to say yes you can get a VERY rough age of a goat from their teeth, I say that because I have a three year old doe that still has milk teeth and milk teeth are on goats that are about a year old,m I have also have had a buck doe that had four adult teeth when she was 9 months, so yes you can tell the age, but it is only a average.
    Here is a good site to help you with the age by the teeth. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/age.htm