The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a problem, mom kidded a single boy he looks to be doing fine went over to mom to make sure her teats work and there this thick looks like a mucous colostrum colored liquid coming out her and her sack is no where near tight. I've never ran into this before. What is it and what do i do? Went out to feed him some colostrum an he was drinking from ma but its still that fluid coming out.

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
That is colostrum ..some are very thick and creamy ..some dont fill up tight..but when her milk comes in she should be pretty full ... congrats : )

·
Registered
31,449 Posts
someof mine is so thick and sticky its hard for kids to get a good drink...:)

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
I would weigh the kid daily for now to make sure he is getting enough. You need a scale that weighs in pounds and ounces or pounds and tenths of pounds. A hanging fish scale works great and is cheap at the hardware store.

·
Super Moderator
59,745 Posts
Get a bag you can put the kid in. Weigh the bag and then weigh the kid in the bag. Subtract the weight of the bag and you have his weight.

·
Brigie's Boer Goats
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just use a human scale, weigh my self then me with the kid or i use my livestock scale. Thanks. She has milk in now and he's drinking away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts