The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mama and her twins (born June 4th) are living here now; only been my first goats for one whole week !! oh, how far we've come......
Today i saw Linus sniffing his sisters butt, then poke out his upper lip, tuck his tummy slightly and arch his back just a little-- he went with that interesting experience maybe two times and then he tried to climb on her back. I actually think he has never done this before.
BUT the seller said she banded him ?! is this normal behavior? :confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very normal.

Have you checked his privates to make SURE he is banded, that the band is still there or if he has already lost the dried up sack?

This problem is why after a certain point in time NO boys, banded or not, are allowed in with my little does. The boys will harrass and harass, and bred and bred ... even when banded.

I had a very late, for me, doe and buck born this May. I knew that they would have to remain together until weaning since they were so small compared to all the other kids. Sure enough even banded her brother was all over that poor little girl. I finally could NOT handle listening to her scream and scream for help. So, I went ahead and placed him in with the older boys and her with the older girls.

Now ... now the screams are coming from him as all three of the bigger BOYS are after him for their pleasure!:eek: But, he found a hole and escapes and finds a place to hide each day now. Every afternoon I collect him and place him back in the stall.

It is just part of the experience of raising goats. That is why we all have so many different pens and stalls and such.

In my eyes the problem with allowing the bucklings to continue this harassment of the doelings is the infections that can and do happen to the little girls when it can be stopped and prevented by proper care and a watchful eye.:shades:

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
If he was properly banded he's just being a boy. I have a five month old that was banded six weeks ago and he still extends and mounts. I banded him with my own hands so I know I got everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts