whether to wether?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Little_K_Farm, Apr 25, 2013.

1. StarMFarm

StarMFarm New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    East TN
    I agree if you are wanting them as pets for your children they should be wethered. But not all bucks turn out to be vicious and mean. I have owned several bucks and not one of them ever tried to harm me. Most of them were actually quite sweet. I always treat my bucks as pets, just not so much while they are in rut because they stink so bad and they are so preoccupied at that time that they don't want any attention anyways. And like I said earlier, I currently have two bucks. My alpha male is four years old and one of the SWEETEST goats I have ever owned. He loves to be petted and scratched and has no fear of humans. He has never once tried to attack anyone. I'm not saying that all bucks are sweet but I also want you to know that not all are mean either. In the end it is a decision you will have to make. Another good point is that you are wanting to breed fainting goats...in that case I would also wether them. Dont start your herd off with a buck that isn't what you are aiming for for your herd. If you want a fainting goat herd I would wether these boys and get a fainting buck when your ready.

2. Little_K_Farm

Little_K_Farm Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Missouri
    Thank you all for your input Keep them coming. As for the quality of these fainting goats they did come from a reputable breeder, my aunt actually got her goats from her, and I believe, are full myotonic (I will be checking before making a final decision). Her bucks were there in a pen when we got these boys. They were very nice and neither acted ill towards her or the babies when they went in their pen. (She has large acerage and was building new fencing so the mom and babies were loose by the house. The babies went in with the bucks when we were trying to catch them.)

I am leaning towards wethering both of them or at least Gauge. He will already jump on us when we are in there feeding. He finishes his bottle way before Rowdy and then wants to jump all over us wanting more. I am thinking if I keep one of them intact it would be Rowdy. Gauge is really my daughters pet and my son likes Rowdy but is not near as into him as my daughter is to Gague.

GoatCrazy I am located in Central Missouri.

We also have a micro pig that the goats live with (and think she is their momma sometimes lol). We were originally looking for a boyfriend for her when we decided to get the goats instead. I may just think about finding her a boyfriend after we move and starting a small fainting goat herd later on. I am good friends with the daughter of the lady we got these boys from so I will always know where to get goats if I want to start raising more later on. She did not have any does at this time anyway.

3. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    I think it's a good idea to wether one and keep one intact! Wethers make great company for bucks that are too frisky to be kept around pregnant does and the females here settle in much more comfortably and quietly with a buck hanging around. Although I can't say I have too much experience with bucks and we got ours pretty old, he's really nice to the girls and doesn't chase them around like I thought he would (except at first for 10 minutes maybe) and they are all very happy together.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  4. TwistedKat

TwistedKat New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Pacific Northwest
    Just my personal input, I love my buck!!!:love:

He is a nigi and is the best little guy ever. He does smell a bit during rut and pee's on his face but, that doesn't stop me from getting my snuggles from him (I just stink after, nothing a shower won't fix). He loves the lady goats and loves his job as a buck. He is every bit as friendly as my wethers and all three of them get feisty with each other once in a while.

I also LOVE :love: my nigi wethers! They make great companions for my buck and they also get feisty with each other. I had them a year and a half before the buck.

They all three wrestle for attention and loves from us and I wouldn't trade/sell them for all the money or gold in the world.

Wether'd or not they are great pets and stud.

5. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    Little_K, I don't know how far you want to travel for Myotonic goats, but you might think about checking out www.tennesseemeatgoats.com. It is owned by a lady named Suzanne Gasparotto(sp?), she lives in Lohn, Texas, and she raises Myotonic goats.

PS Her site is also a wonderful reference for raising goats.

6. katie

katie Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    If you want them for pets I'd wether. It is no fun being around a goat that smells terrible. You'll want to shower after touching them, at least I do.

7. Sylvie

Sylvie city-turned-country girl

Feb 18, 2013
    Fallbrook, CA
    I agree. Except, my buck smelled so bad sometimes a shower wouldn't get rid of the smell. :sick:

8. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    That's disgusting. I'd love to hear what you pick to do.

9. Riverside Fainters

Riverside Fainters Active Member

Feb 6, 2013
    There are other breeders around for myotonics in Missouri. I just had 2 bucklings born a month ago and they will both be wethered. I am curious as to if these guys are registerable or from registered stock. Not that it matters

10. still

still Active Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas

I second the "if it has testicles part" and that applies to humans as well!!:p

11. still

still Active Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    I'm just kidding!:D

12. Riverside Fainters

Riverside Fainters Active Member

Feb 6, 2013
    I heard somewhere... take the balls and the brains come back!

13. Little_K_Farm

Little_K_Farm Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Missouri
    These two are registerable. We should know something on the house within a week or so and if we do get it these boys are likely staying bucks. I talked to the breeder and she has not had any issue with aggresiveness or behavior changes from her stock. If we get the house we will be on the hunt for a twinkle and sparkle. Those are the names the kids picked for their does ;)

14. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
  15. DrakesFarm

DrakesFarm New Member

Apr 1, 2013
    I would first take them and look at their breed and see how they measure up. Second I would leave them bucks, because ( and no offense to any one who has wethers) wethers arnt good for anything on my farm (except for eating) and in the future if they are good enough breed with them if not and you want them as pets a vet can surgicly castrate. Hope your choice is a great one.

If I had to castrate one it would have to be the black one because he seems smaller and in the pic his ears seem small. But then again I do raise boers what do I know

16. ShelbyAnn50

ShelbyAnn50 New Member

Apr 8, 2012
    I would definitely wether both of them. I have one wether and he is one of the sweetest goats ever! He also LOVES people!!!!!

17. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    (QUOTE) Second I would leave them bucks, because ( and no offense to any one who has wethers) wethers arnt good for anything on my farm (except for eating) and in the future if they are good enough breed with them if not and you want them as pets a vet can surgicly castrate. Hope your choice is a great one. (QUOTE DRAKES FARM)

You could always raise them to be pack! And some people do enjoy having pet goats. Personally I agree with you though That wethers can be pretty useless unless you show or pack. I Don't really like keeping a buck around though just because of the smell and that they are worthless most of the year. Plus they require and extra pen!:eek:

18. DrakesFarm

DrakesFarm New Member

Apr 1, 2013
    True I didnt think of that because I dont show

Now I would like to learn how to train a pak goat, put a haybale on his back and have him walk out in the middle of the rest of the herd

19. goatgirl132

goatgirl132 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Texas
    Oh my god...

show goat/lamb equipment
    www.Facebook.com/wickedshowchains

20. katie

Dec 3, 2012
    Centerburg OH
    You know what you could also train one of them as a cart goat. Ive always wanted to do that but I don't feel like I have the time or the wethers. ;)