Whether won't eat, staying away from herd

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CaramelKittey, Sep 21, 2020.

1. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion. I’ve just been informed that Fruit Fresh was a product. This whole time, I thought everybody was talking about fresh fruit, or canned fruit. :bonk:

2. CaramelKittey

We will order the ammonium chloride right away! How much Fruit Fresh should I give him? I’m assuming it should be mixed with cranberry juice. How much? Thank you!

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Baking soda deactivates ammonium chloride. Definitely remove free choice baking soda. But anything in feed is only good if you feed the right amount. If you aren't following the directions on the bag and feeding less, then the ammonium chloride in the feed is worthless.

4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I did a search on forums for you, looking for fruit fresh dosage.
    This was from 2013:
    On a very quick search I have seen dosages from 1 tbsp to 4 tbsp fruit fresh with enough water to make it liquid. The 4tbsp dosage recommended 30 cc water. Good luck!

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Fresh fruit is the same dosage and frequency as Ammonium chloride listed on Tenn. Meat goats information that was posted earlier.

6. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Don't confuse Fresh Fruit with FRUIT FRESH......sorry but just had to make sure you knew it was a canning additive, not actual fruit

7. CaramelKittey

Thank you. I’ve just realized this today. Makes a lot more sense now. :bonk:

8. CaramelKittey

We gave Liam 2 teaspoons of Fruit Fresh in 45CC of Cranberry Juice with the drencher. He loved it and took it gladly. Unfortunately something seems to be wrong with his front leg. He has stayed in his shed most of the day if not all. Sometimes he stands sometimes he lays down. He doesn’t seem to be in pain. He isn’t putting much weight on it, he is and holding it up often. I’ll try to get a picture tomorrow. It does seem broken, and he didn’t seem to be in pain when we touched it. Not sure if this is connected to the UC, or if it is something else. He has hurt his leg before jumping off a high place in his ‘obstacle course’ but it recovered within a few days. I tried to check for hoof rot, but didn’t see, feel, or smell anything. He doesn’t run away when he is pet/scratched, which may sound like a good thing, but it’s VERY unlike him. Just hoping he will get better soon.

9. CaramelKittey

Thank you!
    We felt but couldn’t feel anything. Hopefully that’s a good sign!

10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Is he peeing well now? if not, very warm compresses and massage on the sheath can help break things up..snipping the pizzle can offer instant relief (be sure not to stand in the way)
    on the leg, any swelling and or heat? Did do at pressure to all points as you went for the leg? You want him to get up and move for rumen sake.

11. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Oh no, now the leg!?!
    Did you check his temperature?
    I think I would call the vet if he is not better in the morning.

12. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Maybe from laying around his leg was asleep?

13. CaramelKittey

I’ll try to get pictures when I go out this morning. He did eat his feed (feed with alfalfa pellets) last night but it had to be wrapped in treats. I didn’t notice him laying down much until he hurt his leg, but he may have been laying down when I didn’t notice.
    Thank you so much everybody for all your help! I’m sure Liam really appreciates it!

14. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We will try to feel this morning.

15. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Do you have banamine? If his temperature is normal (101.5-103.5) you can give him a dose along with the fruit fresh/AC. It actually helps him pass the stones and makes it more comfortable to pee. My vet recommended it and it helped a lot when one of my wethers had grit. Make sure you keep up the AC protocol the whole treatment time, don't stop prematurely if he starts looking like things are working normally again or you can relapse.
    I hope Liam feels better soon!

16. CaramelKittey

Thank you! We don’t have banamine, but I’ll ask my vet! We drenched him with another 2 teaspoons of fruit fresh in 45CC of cranberry juice.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  17. CaramelKittey

We called every vet/veterinary hospital we could think of in our area and they were either out of town, or didn't have banamine. Our knowledgeable goat mentor is out of town as well. Our vet said she had some, but she was out of town and her husband didn't know how to draw a syringe to get some. :imok:

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  18. CaramelKittey

Here are two links to some videos I took of him. What do you think?
    We drenched him with his 4th dose of cranberry juice with 2 tsp of fruit fresh. He is less interested every time we give it to him, but we still managed to get it into him. I couldn't feel anything with his leg this morning. I checked on him throughout the day, and most times he was laying down, but I just checked now and he was standing. His walking is a little off, but much better. This morning, I forced his leg (With force, but gently if you know what I mean ;) ) to go straight out rather than stayed curled, and he started walking after that!

MadHouse likes this.
  19. CaramelKittey

Sorry the quality of the videos isn't great. In the first video, you can hear him groaning towards the end. Most if not all of the groaning in the beginning is our doe who is very much in heat, and the buck we are leasing.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  20. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh geez, I’m sorry! How much does Liam Weigh? Banamine is 1cc per 100lbs so if he’s 70lbs it would be 7/10ths of a CC in a one cc syringe for example or if he’s 120lbs it would be 1.2cc in a three cc syringe. You could draw it if your vets husband would allow it. If he’s an odd weight like 73 lbs round down To 70 lbs for safety sake. You don’t want to over do it.
    Worth a shot maybe....

MadHouse and CaramelKittey like this.