Whether won't eat, staying away from herd

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CaramelKittey, Sep 21, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry you lost him!
    :(:hug::imsorry:

CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds like you did everything you could for him. At least now he is at peace.:rose:

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

(embarrassed):imsorry::upset::angel:
    I am so sorry. He was just in too much pain. He knew you were helping him. He is in a better place now. Prayers to you.

CaramelKittey and MadHouse like this.
  4. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Just caught up on this thread. I'm so sorry you lost Liam. He was a beautiful goat. His short "bounce back" may have been because his bladder burst. They feel better once the pressure is relieved, but then as sepsis kicks in they go downhill very quickly. This is a terrible disease. It may be too late now, but if you can open him up and see what his bladder looks like and collect the stones and have them analyzed it could help you figure out what may have caused them and prevent future problems with other goats.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

Thank you everybody.:hug:

Does anybody know of a lab that will pick him up? We really don’t have a great way to transport him. And, thank you, We will be very careful around him.
    Thank you.

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. CaramelKittey

How long is he still viable for a necropsy? We are trying to get a state vet to get him.

MadHouse likes this.
  7. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh no, I'm so so sorry you lost him! Both of you gave it a good fight. He knew you loved him. (HUGS!)

8. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    So sorry for your loss. You did everything you could to help him.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. CaramelKittey

Thanks everybody. :bighug:
    It’s sad not having Liam around, and we miss him. Yes, it is one less mouth to feed and gives us the opportunity to expand our herd, but I still wish he was here with us. Even though he was skittish, he was still the sweet, lovable, medicine-loving (loved Probiotics and took all medicine (except the dreaded copper-bolus) so easily) ‘comic relief’ to the farm. He was a great goat. :angel:

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  11. MadHouse

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  13. CaramelKittey

Even though we couldn’t get a necropsy done, we contacted our state vet to come down and she took a couple lymph nodes for scrapie testing. We asked her what she thought it could’ve been (and showed her the video, and described everything in as much detail as possible) and she said it was highly like that it was UC.
    She said if it were rabies, he would’ve lasted much longer.
    Thankfully none of our other goats are having issues, so hopefully that means it was just UC and not something contagious or zoonotic.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  14. MadHouse

I am glad you got an answer, even though it is sad.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  15. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with the vet but am glad she took a few samples to run on him. ((Hugs))