Whethering young bucks

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Sweetwaterbees, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Sweetwaterbees

Sweetwaterbees Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Dade City , FL
    When is the right age to whether a young buck? Can you do this yourself or should you have a vet do it? I have a 6 month old and a 3 month old. I want to get them both whethered.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can band them yourself if the bander fits. It will probably be best to have the vet do it since they are older. Usually between 8 and 12 weeks is when you band.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    With the older one you may have to bring down one testicle at a time past the band. That's usually what I have to do but if they are dairy cross they may not fit at all. Seems the dairy ones mature faster or simply just grow larger in that department

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    What breed? I did a 5-6 month old ND buck once. Took a little patience, but it worked out in the end :)

I would be sure to give them some sort of pain med. My boy took it a bit harder than the younger ones, I hadn't yet read they might need something for the pain :(

5. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    The three-month-old you can almost certainly still do yourself. The six-month-old on the other hand is probably much too large for a normal elastrator (unless he's a really little guy). In his case, I would call around and see if you can find a vet or cattle breeder who has a Callicrate bander. This style of bander can be used on any size animal. I also recommend Banamine for castrating--especially for the older boy.

6. anawhitfield

anawhitfield Active Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Buford, Georgia
    Be sure they have their CD/T vaccine before you do it and since they are already so big, keep an eye out for potential infections.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. spidy1

spidy1 Well-Known Member

a burdizzo can be used on the bigger one

9. Sweetwaterbees

Sweetwaterbees Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Dade City , FL
    thanks!

thanks for the advice!!!

10. Sweetwaterbees

Sweetwaterbees Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Dade City , FL
    Nigerian Dwarf and a Pygmy. ND is the 6 month old. Very large package in my opinion on the 6 month old. I think I will ask a vet to do it and get pain killers for him then.

11. Sweetwaterbees

Sweetwaterbees Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Dade City , FL
    I had both of my male goats whethered today. The vet did it, and he didn't give them pain killers, and didn't stitch anything up. Is this normal? They look like they are in a daze. I feel bad for them. The vet didn't think they needed pain killer.

12. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Did he surgically castrate them? If they were surgically castrated I'd be very concerned about the lack of stitches and painkillers!

13. ksalvagno

My vet doesn't give anything either. Just keep an eye on them.

14. Sweetwaterbees

Sweetwaterbees Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Dade City , FL
    yeah he surgically castrated them. he said they didn't need stitches. I still think some pain killers would have been nice. I know I would have wanted some. I will keep an eye out. Do you think I should spray blue kote on the wound?

15. ksalvagno

16. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Watch your boys closely for the next couple of days. A friend of mine had a goat bleed to death after castration because the vet did not use stitches. My own vet said goats (and donkeys) have very large blood vessels so they ought to be stitched instead of just crimped like other species. Hopefully your boys will be fine, but expect them to be sore and sorry for themselves for a few days. Do not give aspirin or any other painkillers that thin the blood.

17. Really you had the vet do it! I just use the bands no blood and they drop off a couple of weeks later. I've been doing this for over 26 years never ever had an issue with pain or any infections they heal perfectly, teejae

18. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California

19. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Alcohol also thins the blood as does Banamine and Meloxicam. Probably why no pain meds were given for this method.
    This is the same way that OSU did Pup and it was horrific.

20. Sweetwaterbees

Sweetwaterbees Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Dade City , FL
    That makes sense. What is pup? Is that one of your goats or a puppy?