The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the right age to whether a young buck? Can you do this yourself or should you have a vet do it? I have a 6 month old and a 3 month old. I want to get them both whethered.

·
Super Moderator
58,461 Posts
You can band them yourself if the bander fits. It will probably be best to have the vet do it since they are older. Usually between 8 and 12 weeks is when you band.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
With the older one you may have to bring down one testicle at a time past the band. That's usually what I have to do but if they are dairy cross they may not fit at all. Seems the dairy ones mature faster or simply just grow larger in that department

·
GreenTGoats
10,512 Posts
What breed? I did a 5-6 month old ND buck once. Took a little patience, but it worked out in the end :)

I would be sure to give them some sort of pain med. My boy took it a bit harder than the younger ones, I hadn't yet read they might need something for the pain :(

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The three-month-old you can almost certainly still do yourself. The six-month-old on the other hand is probably much too large for a normal elastrator (unless he's a really little guy). In his case, I would call around and see if you can find a vet or cattle breeder who has a Callicrate bander. This style of bander can be used on any size animal. I also recommend Banamine for castrating--especially for the older boy.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Be sure they have their CD/T vaccine before you do it and since they are already so big, keep an eye out for potential infections.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nigerian Dwarf and a Pygmy. ND is the 6 month old. Very large package in my opinion on the 6 month old. I think I will ask a vet to do it and get pain killers for him then.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had both of my male goats whethered today. The vet did it, and he didn't give them pain killers, and didn't stitch anything up. Is this normal? They look like they are in a daze. I feel bad for them. The vet didn't think they needed pain killer.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Did he surgically castrate them? If they were surgically castrated I'd be very concerned about the lack of stitches and painkillers!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah he surgically castrated them. he said they didn't need stitches. I still think some pain killers would have been nice. I know I would have wanted some. I will keep an eye out. Do you think I should spray blue kote on the wound?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Watch your boys closely for the next couple of days. A friend of mine had a goat bleed to death after castration because the vet did not use stitches. My own vet said goats (and donkeys) have very large blood vessels so they ought to be stitched instead of just crimped like other species. Hopefully your boys will be fine, but expect them to be sore and sorry for themselves for a few days. Do not give aspirin or any other painkillers that thin the blood.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Really you had the vet do it! I just use the bands no blood and they drop off a couple of weeks later. I've been doing this for over 26 years never ever had an issue with pain or any infections they heal perfectly, teejae

·
Catharina
2,247 Posts
Damfino;2049788 Hopefully your boys will be fine said:
What other over the counter pain meds can goats have? How about beer or wine? Just wondering for future reference. I sort of don't have a goat vet any more.

·
I'm watching you
22,199 Posts
Alcohol also thins the blood as does Banamine and Meloxicam. Probably why no pain meds were given for this method.
This is the same way that OSU did Pup and it was horrific.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts