Whew! I'm back! Been sick and busy!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Anna, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Goodness has it been a crazy few days in my life!! I've had a cold and pretty bad fever all last week, and finally went back to school Friday (mountains of make up work, let me tell you!) Of course I've had new babies to take care of and 2 very tempermental new mom's on top of the usual. I work at our local vet clinic/animal shelter on weekends and I'm usually the first person they call when they need a hand. Sure enough, just after school Friday I got a call from Dr.K begging for my assistance (ok, so she just asked, LOL, who's boss usually begs for help??). I get there and every kennel is full, and most with pretty critical puppies and kitties. Our secretary was gone, and they are usually an assistant short on fridays anyways. So they had no one wroking the back... *sighs* fevers, smelly clinics, lots of sick animals= super bad headache. I got everything under control and starting to look (and smell) a little better when one of the assistants grabs her purse crying and yelliing to Dr.K that her mom just called and her mare had just foaled, stepped on the foal's chord, and ultimately torn into it's abdominal cavity. We all rushed to get closed up for the night, and the 3 of us (doctor,me, and Niki now) headed out to the other side of the county to see about the horse and her foal. Now Dr.K is 27 years old, just had a baby 2 weeks ago, and is one of the tiniest people I've ever met. So 3 little girls trying to restrain, this rather large and rightfully upset mare while someone is messing with her backside is no easy task. Turns, out the foal had died in utero and was starting to decay (that's why it was torn so easily) and there was a twin still yet to be delivered- that was a mess- I ended up not getting home till after 12. The mare is doing good now, btw, so that's good. Saturday and Sunday, we still had most the animals from friday but most werent so critical thank heavens, and I did manage to work in some baby time. I still hadnt, worked much on all the make up work by Sunday and worked on that till bed time. Yesterday, calmed down a little, I got home and started to feel bad again with a sore throat and started running a fever... gah, I cant get better! MY doctor says "TAKE IT EASY!", LOL, I wonder why? :roll: This is my second round of antibiotics... hopefully I'll get to feeling sooner this time. I dont have much of a choice, I've got lot's of stuff coming up in the beginning of February. Including the Florida State Fair (I think that's what it is) Anyone going to be there?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    aahhh I feel overwhelmed just reading that!! So Did the twin live or was it dead too? I feel bad for the owners - a year of waiting then all that. :(

I hope the antibiotics work and you can slow down a bit to let them work.

3. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    yes, the other foal was dead too. It was really sad. I learned that the number one cause of abortions in horses is twins, which usually doesnt end well even if they are carried to term. They werent completely positive of when she was bred becuase she was left with the breeder for a couple of months. They were most likely a little premature. I felt so sorry for Kayla (owner) this was her first horse, (got her when she was 10! she's 18 now) And never had her bred while she riding her in compititions and finally decided to give it a try now that she's in college. The breeder garuntee's a live foal though, so she can choose to have her bred again for free, I'm not sure if she will though... I dont know if I'ld be able too. It makes me so thankful for Rose's healthy delivery and foal...

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I have heard that if you don't breed a mare by the time she's 8-9 yo, you shouldn't breed her. But, 18! Wow, that's almost an "elderly" horse!

Anyway, sorry you've been sick, time to try some Vit C (500 mg 2-3x/day), Echinacea, do you take a good multi-vit? And, keep warm, or try to, LOL. Being, "somewhat chilled", all the time lowers your immune system. You have to slow down for a few days and let your body heal or you will be sick longer.

Sounds like you are a great employee! I'm sure your Dr. (and her patients) appreciate it! And, I can just see all you tiny woman working to help that poor horse. Good work, you saved the mare! :)

5. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    WOW, activity to the max, and then some. So sorry for the losses- :hug: for Kayla. Do take it easy and get plenty of rest, I know easy to say, not always easy to do.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    WOW - you really had your hands full - make sure to take care of yourself in the mix (like I am one to talk - but ya know!)

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    So it sounds like you have been a little bored lately. Why don't you try to get some excitement in your life. :ROFL:
    I sure hope you start feeling better.

8. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Makes me tired just reading your post. Try to slow down and get some rest!

9. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Thank you so much everyone. I'm at school trying to pay attention but I've got the goaties on my mind. LOL. You guys are so wonderful at making me feel better. ((hugs))

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well I hope you had a fun rest of the afternoon with them once you got home