Whew! What A Job!! :P

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Nov 29, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We (my two siblings and I) just finished getting our winter hay stored up for our five little goaties in town. :D We had only 12 bales delivered of Eastern Oregon Grass/Timothy/Alfalfa mix - but these bales weigh 100+ pounds each! I don't know about you gals, but that stuff isn't so easy to lift!! :oops: Especially without gloves. . . . my sis snatched the last pair of gloves. :roll: But the feeling is wonderful knowing we have plenty of hay to last through the winter and hopefully spring. :) And the goaties are sooooo happy too!! :cool: :dance:

I do plan to get a couple bags of Chaffhaye to try though when I'm out in that direction. Anyways, that's what our day was like. How was all of yours?? :sun:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That is a wonderful isn't it? Knowing that you'll have enough til Spring.....I get my mixed Timothy hay for $2 a bale...plus the labor of stacking whats in the wagons in the mows....did that in July...talk about hot and itchy!

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    $2 a bale??!! Man, I wish we could get hay for that cheap around here! The cheapest for local hay around here is $4 a bale, and that's cow quality. . . . I had to pay $15 a bale for this stuff - plus a little to have it delivered. :sigh:

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yeah Liz, you are going to have to point me in that direction! I found some really nice 2nd cut grass hay (Timothy, orchard grass), about a mile from me! But, he didn't have enough for me so I now have a guy with some really nice alfalfa, not close, but he's easy to get to and easy access. I got a hundred bales from him but I'll probably need to get a hundred more. He's got it so no problem. I'd like to find some more grass hay though, I'm feeding the grass hay to the mini-horses and bucks, but I'll run out before winter is done. Hubby helped me get the last 50 bales into the hay loft (I think it's just amazing how strong men are). Next year I'm getting a hay elevator! I'm too old for this!

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This is first cut....and I get it that cheap because I busted my butt getting it unloaded and stacked :ROFL: Now, I still have to go 20 miles to get it so thank goodness fuel prices are coming down!

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So true. I was really impressed with my brother yesterday. He's 17 - I was in charge of stacking and they brought the hay to me but when the stack got really high, I just asked if he would help me lift it. He just lifted it on his own and basically threw it! I was pretty impressed. Yep, guys --- husbands, brothers, grandpas, or uncles, are definitely handy! ;) :D

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh .....I know how much hard work it can be to stack hay....some of those bales are really heavy... :shocked: ..that is what my DH is for....I help him ........but I can't throw them way up......watching him do it ...he makes it look so easy... :scratch: