Which antibiotics are good for Pregnant Goats

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CrazyAcre, Nov 29, 2010.

1. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I have a cold going through the herd and some of my girls are pregnant. I called the vet and they suggest Naxcel or Gentamicin, great I'm out and I pick some up.
    Nope you need to bring on in First.... grrrh... I am so P.O'd right now
    We had a cough and cold go through mostly the babies this summer and I brought 2 in than and got meds.
    And than when I needed more , no problem..
    But now, bring one in.... I just need the meds, not a $100 plus vet bill..
    So what antibiotic would you suggest with out a perscription for possibly pregnant doe's?
    Thanks

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use Pen G first and if that doesn't work then I go to Biomycin(agrimycin,la-200)

3. CrazyAcre

CrazyAcre New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    ok, I will try Pen G than, but
    I thought you were not surpose to give Biomycin to pregnant doe's or kids, I will if I have to though to save the doe's if it came down to it,
    I used the Biomycin over the summer it was the only thing that worked, but one doe got bred before they got sick that I didn't expect to , and she lost the kid, it could have been because he was born without me being there as she kidded a little early and he got cold, but I wonder if it had something to do with the fact she was on the Biomycin?? He looked completely normal.

Thanks for the help, I feel so bad for my girls.

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I would use BioMycin.... its not dangerous for preggy does and it works great for pneumonia. I'm assuming that is what you are treating? :)

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    BioMycin is oxytetracycline and can harm kids even after they are born, I would be afraid to use it on pregnant does without at least talking to a vet who is a goat expert first. Pen-G would be better. Here is some info about oxytetracyline and kids and pregnant does : http://fiascofarm.com/goats/medications ... tracycline

Jan