Which breed?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Alpine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Boer/meat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lamancha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Nigerian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nubian

100.0%
  6. Oberhasli

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pygmy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Saanen/Sable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Toggenburg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Which breed do you have,or if more than one, which is your faveorite? Why did you choose that breed? If you could choose another breed to own which would it be? Just curious. :D

2. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Sorry,I couldnt add more breeds,but if you have something else, tell us what it is. :)

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have had alpines nubians lamanchas and pygmys. Have lived with an entire herd of nigies as well. The alpines always will be my number one. The other breeds always move out to make room for the alpines. though cute and a nice small size for kids nigies kill my back and hands to milk and show. the nubians are just too vocal for me, and i like the pretty dished faces and the upright very charecteristic ers of the alpines plus you never know what color your going to get. They are always such clowns too. And so affectionate. my girls crawl into my lap when i sit down in the pasture. The lamanchas i had were more vocal then the nubians, they would scream themselves hoarse, literly. I had one that would stand on top of the boulder all day looking at the house maaing until only a squeak came out.
    beth

4. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    Ok, I started out with 3 pygmys. Then I got a Nubian and it was the sweetest goat! The other pygmys would pick on her and treat her bad. I ended up gettting rid of two of the three pygmys and purchased another Nubian. So far, Nubians are my favorite.

5. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Growing up on a large goat dairy, my parents having several of each dairy breed, I became familiar with them.
    My personal favorite is LaMancha. Ya, I know they look pertty darn strange and people give you a hard time, but, -- once you go earless, you'll never go back! =)
    They have really awsome personalities. I can find a drawback on nearly every other breed, but not my munchies. :) Good milk, good health, good personality.

But now of course, I have discovered pygoras. I hate having to find homes for the dairy wethers, so we are seeing how it goes with fiber goats. So far I like the pygoras, they are fun and cute. But since we have only had them for about six months now, I am not ready to make any breed generalizations yet.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, you forgot the fiber goats. I know cashmere is not a breed but Angora is.

I vote Cashmere anyway. Sorry had to.

7. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have fainters but I am getting boers and a kiko cross

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have Nigerians and Pygmies -

I chose the Nigerians because they are small, easy to handle (or so I thought) and were great dairy goats with wonderful color combinations!

The pygmies that I have are rescues that I took in.

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I have LaManchas because they are calm, sweet, easy to handle, cute, funny and they give lots of good milk :)
    We also have Oberhaslis, which we will be expanding next spring. Obes are very mischevious, sweet and quiet. Haven't had their milk yet.
    We also have Saanens as a token breed, mostly because they are just so beautiful and they give lots of milk.
    We have boers for meat goats.

10. PACE

PACE New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Mass
    I love having my little guys and my big guy, but if I ever get a real herd going I think I'll stick mostly with the Nigerians. They are colorful, sweet, spunky, and come in a conveniently small package. Personality wise I love Melino for his sweetness and gentleness, while I love how spunky and charismatic Pace is... then Shanti is just old reliable. I don't have enough experiance with lots of goats from various breeds to make generalizations yet. The reason for choosing the Nigerians if I'm going to breed ever would be because I know haw tiny and CUTE the little babies are, though all kids are adorable. Also if I have to sell them there seems to be much more of a market for small goats as pets... I wouldn't want my babies to ever end up as dinner. But with my boys it's a draw between Alps and Nigerians

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Pygmies and Nigi's! I was raised with Nubians, Toggs and Alpines.,...and though I love those Nubi ears...I am totally hooked on my minis. They are sweet, funny, loveable, colorful lap goats that give a surprising amount of milk as well as protection and care for their babies....don't think I'll ever change to a bigger goat....besides that, they are very easy to handle when it comes to "maintenence" LOL :D

12. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i only have alpines now. i started out with them. then i got a saanen & i really do like them but not as much as my alpines so i sold my saanens. then last year i got into lamanchas & again i love my alpines so much more so sold the lamancha's i found that the saanen is very laid back but also very big. the thing i didn't like about the lamanchas were that they were great with people & other lamanchas but were very aggresive with the alpines. so from now on it will be just the colorful playful friendly alpines for me.

13. sungoats

sungoats New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Jackson NJ
    I love my Alpines! I had a Togg a few years ago and really loved her, too. I've read that LaManchas are real clowns and alot of fun, but I never had one. Mmmm... maybe next time.... :idea:

14. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have Nubians for milk, and just recently got into Boers.

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Nigerians! If I were to get a second breed it would be Alpines =)

16. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I own show quality Nubians and pet Pygmys. I love both breeds but chose Nubians for the poll. When I get the money I'll be adding Lamanchas to my herd.

17. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    I have a 'mixed' herd right now...Lol...if you call 3 a herd; Hahaha. I have one Pygmy, one Pygmy\Nigi cross, and one Nigi.

For the Poll I picked Pygmies...and that is a hands down pick...I have loved the breed since I first got them about 15 years ago. I have raised most of the dairy breeds, and angoras over the years, but Pygmies are just my 'first' goatie love of all the breeds.

18. dairygoatdreams

dairygoatdreams New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Florida
    I chose nubian as my favorite, because of their temperament and looks. My second choice would be oberhasli for dairy goats. Truth be told, I have met great goats from all breeds so I suspect I will end up with multiple breeds down the road. Besides dairy goats I also like fiber goats a lot, and mini/dairy crosses are very interesting to me. In the past I have owned boer/saanen crosses, nubian/alpine crosses, and a nubian/pygmy cross(I'm a sucker for airplane ears!). They were all beautiful, hardy, and loving, but I have to say nubians and nubian crosses almost always end up being my favorites for personality. :)

19. eliya

eliya New Member

I chose Nubians, but in reality, I like MiniNubians best. I love the floppy ears, the many, many different colors and patterns, but most of all I like the WONDERFUL personalities. I also like the wonderful rich milk.

20. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    I have one pygmy and two nigerian dwarf The nigerians are sooooo much sweeter and have nicer dispositions (could be that they are both wethers and the pygmy is a doe!)