The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend from work I rehoming her bucks to buy new bucks and asked if I was interested in them, I said I could take one. Which one I am not sure yet, I haven't seen pics yet and should get them today. I have pedigrees for both and both have similar lines so some of my girls. I skimmed through on ADGA genetics to checked for evals and CH status and nothing too flashy.

Elvis - https://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDe...-q3J3I0qVFV8_7EZ7lrD0hHhV9hQ7HDX-96yGsT-a5b0w

He is similar to Sunny, Cavatina, and Juniper (2nd Cousins I believe)

Chester - https://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDe...Yz_gQ0-8J_vyD2HmSrdEnt0wS7tNRabfzTyWzJHDM011k

He is similar to baby Hope, same sire. Hope is SUPER feminine and LONG and will get some nice depth. I'm leaning towards him but want to see what others thought. When I get pictures I will post here!

·
Registered
435 Posts
So a friend from work I rehoming her bucks to buy new bucks and asked if I was interested in them, I said I could take one. Which one I am not sure yet, I haven't seen pics yet and should get them today. I have pedigrees for both and both have similar lines so some of my girls. I skimmed through on ADGA genetics to checked for evals and CH status and nothing too flashy.

Elvis - https://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDe...-q3J3I0qVFV8_7EZ7lrD0hHhV9hQ7HDX-96yGsT-a5b0w

He is similar to Sunny, Cavatina, and Juniper (2nd Cousins I believe)

Chester - https://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDe...Yz_gQ0-8J_vyD2HmSrdEnt0wS7tNRabfzTyWzJHDM011k

He is similar to baby Hope, same sire. Hope is SUPER feminine and LONG and will get some nice depth. I'm leaning towards him but want to see what others thought. When I get pictures I will post here!
Those are very old lines. I'd be interested to see what the pictures are like. I imagine they'll be pretty old style. I looked into some does that were very closely related to those bucks, but didn't get them because their milk test numbers were way too low for me. Do either of the bucks have dams or sisters with milk test data?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okidoki, so yesterday I was useless and got nothing done. This morning the gal sent me pictures of both bucks (backyard pictures so to speak) and I have been combing through their pedigrees like a freak.

Chester is "cooler" looking with his loud coloring, brown and white and blue eyes but his pedigree has little to boast. He usually throws louder colored kids with a high percentage of blue eyes. My neighbor has a couple of his kids and likes them but nothing I can really get production values from or show results.

Elvis is the Black and White with brown eyes. His pedigree is LOADED! He has similar lines to my Cavatina and my Sunflower. The original farm that he was bred out of (his parents lines) leases her goats out to show and I have rarely seen them do poorly.

Both are fairly young and don't have many registered kids on the ground that I can track. I'm heavily leaning towards Elvis now because his lines are DA BOMB. I'll try to post the pictures. I'm at work so they will be in a reply :) not the best pictures but gives you an idea. I'll see if I can find pictures of udders from closer relatives of each for you guys as well.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chester is the chestnut and white with blue eyes

Elvis is the White and black but with Brown eyes

I also scribbled down the break down of their pedigrees as well. I highlighted the goats that had any records of showing, LA or stars.

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
435 Posts
As I suspected, they are very old style. The Shere Country does are pretty, but what won in 2011 will not be winning now. Nigerians are still improving and have changed so much since then. If you get one though, I would get Elvis. He does have the better pedigree when compared to Chester.

After looking at the pictures, I think both bucks are very narrow, it might be because it's cold, but they look extremely narrow in the front. They also don't appear to be very long bodied, but again, I can't really tell from the pictures.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm hoping to start showing this year so I'm sure I'll learn a ton more about current lines. This is my first year really in goats where they are mine and I'm a bit of a noob

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm hoping to start showing this year so I'm sure I'll learn a ton more about current lines. This is my first year really in goats where they are mine and I'm a bit of a noob
I understand! It can be overwhelming! If I were you, I'd pass on both of them though. I don't think they can add anything to your herd, especially because you already have those lines.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for all your advice :) I'll probably hold off for now and see what I learn in the shows next spring. I might have to pick your brain with show questions in the future.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thank you so much for all your advice :) I'll probably hold off for now and see what I learn in the shows next spring. I might have to pick your brain with show questions in the future.
You're welcome!:) I think that is a very smart thing to do. Feel free to ask! I love talking goats, especially the wonderful world of showing!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I’m still learning, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

They both look very narrow, but Elvis looks more narrow than Chester, especially in that first picture. Are your does wide enough to offset that? The pictures make it difficult to judge much else, but neither look very dairy to me. Would either buck improve your herd? Also, are you able to manage those scurs? They look like they’d require a bit of maintenance on either buck.

Good luck in your choice! Have you been able to go meet them in person? Personality and ease in handling may also play a role (I won’t have a buck who is aggressive towards people).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts