Which buckling?

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by Michaela Van Mecl, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Active Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Hi there!

I found a reputable farm down in NC and I'm considering one of two bucklings for my breeding plans. I'd love any feedback because the are quite a drive and I can't go and see them in person before purchasing; It's basically a deliver and you get what you get sort of thing.

The breeder is asking $500 , ADGA registration included. They are full brothers. It's so hard to tell at this age how they are going to turn out... but what do you guys think? Is there one that you prefer over the other? Do you think $500 is too steep for what you see?

Photos of each buckling (one at birth and one currently, they are at two weeks), as well as the parents.

Sire = N001953137
    Dam= N002048422

Attached Files:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Cute! Hard to tell with the pictures.

goatblessings likes this.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Very hard to tell at that age - they change so quickly! I like the dam's breeding, - both sire and dam are young. Too bad you don't have some daughters from them to see udders or lA scores. I think the price is fair. Both bucklings look very dairy. I would ask for the one with the better width in the breeders estimation.

Michaela Van Mecl likes this.
  4. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Also ask to see pics of the dams udder

5. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I forgot to include that but it looks pretty good to me!

Attached Files:

6. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Udder is nice in capacity for a FfF. If you girls have good Wii’s then and body capacity it would be a nice pairing.

7. Michaela Van Mecl

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry I'm not familiar with the short hand. Can you explain the acronym?

goatblessings likes this.
  8. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Sorry-texting on my phone - fat finger effect. FF is first freshener. Meant to say = looks like both the sire and dam are very dairy, so your girls should have good width and body capacity for some improvement there. If your girls have kidded before than an improvement on the dam would be better teat placement and medial susupension. Can't see the foreudder........ Remember that a buck is 1/2 your herd - although this time of year most bucks are already sold. If you feel he has improvement to offer over what you currently have then go for it! I'd lean toward the darker kid, but really can't tell much at all from those pics.....