Which clippers for goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by NDinKY, Feb 3, 2020.

1. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    My old Wahl horse clippers kicked the bucket tonight (they were over 20 yrs old) so now I’m on the quest for new clippers. Doing a search, it looks like a couple of years ago the Andis UltraEdge 2 speed were popular. Are those still a good value? Is there a difference between the UltraEdge and the Andis AGC2 super 2 speed? Any other clippers worth looking into?

Also, blade sizes for goats, should I get 4, 7, and 10? What is the difference between a 4 and 4F and 4FC? I’m looking at clipping 16 goats this spring (likely over a month long period or longer) and would like to go with a longer clip as I just want to be able to evaluate their conformation. They’re not going to any shows.

Lastly, are the Andis clippers listed above small enough to shave heads prior to disbudding? My clippers that died were the variable length ones, and I clip the kids as close as possible to minimize the burning hair.

Thanks for any clipper assistance! I’ve body clipped plenty of horses but clipping goats is new to me.

CaramelKittey likes this.
  2. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

I used Andis 2 Speed clippers. When shaving them for show, I use a 4 for body, 10 for the legs, and 50 for the udder. I like the clippers a lot, but they are tougher to use on a Winter Coat. They work great on my does anytime Spring-Fall, and they worked on my Jr. Buck Luther’s thick coat when he was about 5-6 months old. I’m not sure the exact dimensions of the clippers, and it depends what breed of goats you have. I’d say you could probably get away with using them for disbudding but it might not be pretty. Usually, I keep a small pair of wireless clippers on hand to shave for disbudding or get into tight places my Andis clippers can’t reach. The wireless clippers I have can’t clip a thick coat at all though. If you’re just getting them to judge conformation, the Andis are goat for that.
    Hope this helps!

NDinKY likes this.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I have the ultra edge for 5ish years now. Does good but to be fair I have never had anything else lol
    I can’t tell you the difference in numbers on the blades. It was all confusing for me so I bought a #10 and then guards to go on them. It’s cheaper then buying a ton of different blades. And yes they are small enough to clip for disbudding, that is what I use on mine

NDinKY, ksalvagno and CaramelKittey like this.
  4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks guys! I don’t plan on clipping until spring, so hopefully the Andis can get through the bucks coats by that time (so shaggy right now). I broke my old ones today trying to shave for a blood draw on a doe with a ton of cashmere.

Do the blade guards work well? I was looking at a set of steel ones but have no experience with them.

5. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh my gosh that winter undercoat! I have never clipped it before and have been doing so now, just a little section on their bellies so I can ultrasound and for the first 3 goats I just thought my blades were dull. That hair is terrible! I have figured out if I use a good amount of oil it seems to help a lot but still not as smooth as normal hair in the summer time.
    The guards work good. I just got some plastic ones. I did drop my clippers in the middle of clipping the kids show goats and broke a a few teeth off. That was a pain in the butt! So I will probably go with the metal ones next time. But I think the key to the guards is to have nice sharp blades or you will have more lines. If your just clipping to clip though not for show then lines probably won’t be a big deal.
    On the blades though, there seems to be 2 kinds, ones with metal top and bottom part (sorry I don’t know correct terms) and ones with the bottom part being a plastic. Don’t get the plastic. I did last year just trying to save some money and they did not stay sharp as long as the others. So in the long run I ended up paying a lot more :/

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I have the Andis as well - they do tend to get hot when shaving that winter cashmere. I get a couple of sets of the same blade and switch them out mid shave so they can cool. With 16 - you may have to take your time.....I use a 5 if going to a show very soon, 10 if they have time to grow out a bit before show, 50 on udders.... a 10 will be fine for disbudding.

7. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    The winter woolies are crazy to clip through! I probably should have oiled my clippers up instead of just spraying them with Kool Lube. RIP old clippers. I’ll try the metal blade guards. I may end up with patterned goats my first few tries.

I like the idea of switching out blades. I won’t be doing all 16 in one day, they’re all going to need to be bathed first, especially the stinky bucks. Is the 50 like a surgical cut? Good to know that 10 is fine for disbudding.

8. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I looked this up, it might help if you want to go with a variety of blades IMG_0981.jpg

9. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Thanks, very helpful! Any idea what the skip tooth design does? Maybe helpful for rough coats?

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    All great info! We have pairs of clippers. Years ago I bought WAHL KM2, and then we bought a pair of Andis 2 speed and we love them both. The Wahl clippers are noisier, but I don't see a difference in how they cut. We like to use the #10 blade with the plastic comb's for different lengths. But we're not shaving, we're usually just trimming/cleaning up coats since my kids show Breeding Boer goats that keep their hair. Sometimes I just use a blending blade to clean them up.

We were recommended the 7FC years ago for market wethers. It's a really good blade. We've cut through some long winter fluff with them over the years when those wethers get their first trims. My kids haven't been into wethers much the last few years though, so we don't use that blade very much now.

NDinKY likes this.
  11. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    We have Andis, Wahl, and Oster and the Andis are hands down the best. I’ve had the first pair for over 20 years and they still run great.

Cashmere is brutal on any clippers but it’s 100x worse if the goat isn’t washed first. The oil and dirt and dander foul blades like mad.