The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I just finished clipping some goats and it took me so long. Whenever I go to shows and compare my goats to the others, their clipping job looks terrible!
With that note:What clippers do you use? Do you have any tips? I heard that 10's for face, 50 for udders, and 8 for bodies.
Thanks

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I use an Andis 2 speed clipper, 10 blade for the body and I want to pick up a 50 for udders, but I may not.. right now I use a 30 then razor them, (still learning) and that looks nice :) it takes a lot of practice to learn to clip goats nice! LOL! but I love clipping so I practiced a lot! LOL!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I use a Wahl Arco SE or Oster Titan clippers. I use a 10 all over the body.
Just take long strokes with the clippers, and go in many directions not just against the hair growth. Pull the skin taught to get a closer and more even clip, and to get those hard to get areas. Go over the same spots multiple times in every which direction. Clip 2 weeks before a show.
And don't forget to clip the hair at the hoof

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh I see :)

What do you use?
I was using some Shoprite ones for a while and then I got a Wahl Show. I liked the one I got from shoprite better! The wahl gets quickly hot that I have to give it a million breaks to cool off. It is terrible with my bucks. I wash the goats before I clip them for it to be easier on the clippers since we got a lot of the oil out. It helps, but not enough. I don't want to buy $300+ clippers, but I may have to.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't have good clippers, borrowed my neighbor's once. I think I want to buy the Andis super AGR rechargable cordless with a #10 that comes with it. Unless someone can tell me it is not worth the cost. Cheapest I've found so far is horse dot com and $188 - 10% and free shipping.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I don't have good clippers, borrowed my neighbor's once. I think I want to buy the Andis super AGR rechargable cordless with a #10 that comes with it. Unless someone can tell me it is not worth the cost. Cheapest I've found so far is horse dot com and $188 - 10% and free shipping.
For that pricr I'd go with corded clippers. I've heard bad things about andis cordless clippers.... not holding a charge, not enough power ect

·
8,248 Posts
I clipped a 2 month old last night- she loved it! Perfect until I tried to clip her legs!
Her knees must be sensitive- she was jumping all over! I used a #10 blade, it looks pretty good.
The doe I clipped last week looks kind of bad! Hopefully, she looks ok in 2 weeks!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
My tip for clipping is to give a thorough shampoo bath first. I also use conditioner, not sure if others do. And of course make sure they are dry first.
I condition does and bucks but not wethers unless they have extremely coarse hair. But it really does work. So does sprayinfbwith show sheen prior to blow drying

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I have an equine FX and wahl show pro. 10 for body, 50 for udders, and then a shorter one (like a 30?) for face and legs, right?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Normally for dairy clips its a 10 or a 7 on the body, 10 on the face and legs, 50 on udders (or even the shortest they make, 1/125 of an inch for the udders)
Some people also use a 40 on the entire goat, few weeks before the show.

Washing is not only easier on the clippers, but it makes the clip nicer.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Well then, I ordered the #30 blade for no reason..... LOL So I will use the #10 for face, legs, and body, and a #50 for the udders then, right?

And how far ahead of the show do you usually clip?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts