The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a dehorner for my Nigerian Dwarf kids.
Usually I take them to the vet, but I'm thinking it might pay for itself soon and might be a good investment.
Do you use the 1/4" or the 3/8" ...what brand do you like?
Thanks y'all for your insights in advance :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
We use the Rhinehart X30 with the 1/2” tip. It works really well. Originally we used the Rhinehart X50 with the 1/2” adapter but it is much heavier and unwieldy vs the X30.

We have only NDs and went with the larger tip based on reviews online. The 1/4” tip is way too small, I didn’t find anyone who liked it. The 3/8” tip would have been too small for some of our bucklings. The bucklings seemed to be born with buds, I did most of them on day 2 or 3 and probably should have done them earlier. Even with the 1/2” I had some scurs last year (first year of me doing it).

I hate doing it, but no one died last year so hopefully I’ll be better at it this year. My vet refuses to disbud saying he prefers goats with horns and since he runs his own business he doesn’t need to offer that service. There is another vet practice about an hour away that will disbud. I had them take the scurs off the buckling with the worst ones. Even with the vet doing it that buckling regrew scurs again.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I was looking online and didn't see the 1/2 in tip so I'll look around for it. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I also have the Rhinehart x30 with the .55 tip, it works great for all our our kids Nigerians through boers. The smaller tips really are too small even for the miniature breeds and we had more problems with scurs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts