Which doe should I get?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RunAround, Dec 28, 2008.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I can't decide!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is a Fairlea goat with fairly nice lines.
    Sire: Rosasharn's Julius +S
    (OTR Magic's M Heracles +S x ARMCH Stonewall's Little Luli AR*D)
    Dam: Fairlea Troy AR*D (2 legs)
    (Stonewall's Apocalypse Now +*S x Fairlea Electra VG)

OR

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LOST VALLEY TB SALEEN (MCH Lost Valley Tae-Bo+*S "E" x Goodwood Sisley*D "VG")
    Bred to Twin Creeks BW Sudden Sea*S and due 4/02/09

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the second doe...but there isnt a picture

i love her lines though

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I guess the second doe had trouble feeding her twin wethers last year. But they don't expect any issues this year.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Personally, I like the second one a bit better. They both have really nice lines. Beautiful goats! You couldn't go wrong either way! :wink:

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: I don't need more goats! LMAO

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i'm partial to the second doe's lines more.. was she a FF this year?? her dam is a beautiful old goat

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Both were FF's this year.

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i have the solution.. one for me.. and one for you haha

i say, you should go and see which one is friendlier.. and pick that one haha

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well I know the person with the first doe and we are good friends. I have seen the first doe before and like her. I also saw her dam at the last show I went to and really liked her. Plus she got her second leg at that show. She also milked up a storm.

So I am hopeful doe # 1 will give me more capacity in the years to come.

The second doe I don't really know but she is Lost Valley. They lady is also taking her time on getting back to me. I am a bit concerned that she couldn't feed her kids enough last year.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok you pmed me and said you bought another doe........so which one did you decide on.

I love the first one -- or is that because she looks like my Jitterbug :doh:

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well I got the first one, but am still thinking about the second.... :doh:

Someone please get me some help. :help:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats cool.........I really like the udder of the first doe, I think you made a great choice

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Bit late now, but when I looked at the pictures, I thought the second doe just doesnt have the udder capacity of the first doe, then when I scrolled down and saw she couldnt feed her kids ... I say you made a good choice with the first one, and I would leave the second one. Particularly if they are both FF in these photos, it is obvious which doe is the higher producer, no matter how pretty the second one is :wink:

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I am quite tough on my FF. People often say to me, well it was her first time, so you cant expect the kids to be much good, give her another chance next year. But I look at it this way:

I joined 8 FF this year.
    1 did not join
    1 raised ethiopian twins
    1 raised an ethiopian single
    the other 5 raised huge great twins each

Many people told me to give the others a second go. I figure if the others at the same age, with the same care and nutrition, can manage to do their job then they are the ones that will stay here with me, the others will find a new home.

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Ok so you don't think I should get the second doe too? Well it would be more like my mom's doe since she will be paying for it and showing it. If she gets it.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would purchase the second doe as well. With those incredible lines (and the fact she is bred) I couldn't pass her up.

Just about all FF I have seen have gained capacity with more freshenings. I like to give them a chance to prove themselves. It would be different if her bloodlines were just "ho-hum" but since they are very nice, I'd get her.

If you end up not liking her or she cannot feed her kids; then find a good home for her as a pet or something. JMHO. :)

Whatever you and your mom decide to do will be for the best!! :D

17. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I like the first doe better.
    beth

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I guess it depends on the quality of your herd compared to her, and the price. I would consider buying her if:

she was a higher quality than my herd (in general)
    she was a reasonable price
    she is bred to a high milking line

As I said before, I am tough on my FF and I believe that, if some are able to do it properly the first time round, why should I give the others a second chance. BUT, if she would be in the top 20% of my herd, quality wise, and if she was cheap, I would probably buy her.

19. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    They are both nice animals and you really couldn't go wrong...Congrats on getting the first doe and I agree w/ Capriola along the second doe.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know where you are gettinng Fairlea from.

She has more gorgeous goats for sale but I know you have a lot of her lines. Why not get the buckskin and try it out..........or come down here and purchase a buckskin from my friend :D she is only 250.00 and beautiful!!! (discount because her udder may take a couple years to grow to maturity -- her lines grow slowly that way).