The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am struggling here! I am new to goats and this will be my first goat purchase! I am torn between these two.
#1 is Cheyenne. She is a 3 year old nubian.

image-1183547253.jpg

image-441432999.jpg

#2 is Ziva. She is a 4 year old alpine.

image-1983093784.jpg

Here are some pics of her kids

image-898709691.jpg

image-1766606949.jpg

They are both $200 and registered. Doe #2 is being sold to me with the promise of being bred in the fall to the same buck who sired the kids in the pictures above. Also, Ziva has been shown in showmanship and is very friendly (says the owner) and Cheyenne is a little bit skittish but still friendly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
whats your plans for goats? The nubian has very little milk in her udder at least in that picture, is it full?

from the side view of the alpine her rear udder looks like it is lacking but she looks more capacious.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The nubian's owner says she is from good lineage but she just doesnt produce a ton of milk.

I will try to get a photo of the alpine's udder.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Do you know how much milk each is giving? If you are wanting milk production, it looks like the Alpine is most likely the better milker. What are their registered names? Are they at the same place? If they are you could always go look at both of them and then make a decision. I have bought several does that were "skittish", bring them home and they won't leave me alone.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
The Nubian has un-cared for hooves and there's something I don't like about her front knees.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are not at the same place. And I also have noticed her knees.

The owner of the Alpine has been way more involved in the sale than the Nubian owner. Whenever i ask her a question she promptly responds and if I ask for pictures she goes out right away and takes them. I am waiting on an udder picture for the Alpine right now. She said give her a few minutes and she could send one.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Overall I like the Alpine better. She is a tiny bit awkwardly proportioned but I think part of it is the way the pictures are taken because the new ones she doesn't look as funky than the first.

I don't like the knees on the Nubian and her udder isn't very impressive.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I don't care for the Nubian at all. I do however love the Alpine, she is very nice.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I vote alpine as well. she still looks a little disproportioned, but I think it's just the angle of the camera.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone! I knew in my gut it would be the alpine and the girl that is selling her is super helpful and I am sure she will help me through the process.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The Nubian has un-cared for hooves and there's something I don't like about her front knees.
I thought the same thing! Something just doesn't look right...:question:

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I would choose the Alpine as well...when you get a goat you know has been well cared for..there are less likely to have "skeletons in the closet" so to speak.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Here is another vote for the alpine:) I'm just curios to those who mentioned the knees on the Nubian, what are you looking at exactly? My Nubian/Lamancha girls have knees that look like that..., they are 5, so what are you thinking?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I'm looking at how the bad feet are affecting the knees. In the top picture you can see how her hooves have gone untrimmed so long that both cleats are bending to the outside. The goat stands with the knees cocked out and slightly bent to compensate. If she has been doing that for long, there's a good chance the connective tissues in her knees is destroyed and will always cause a weakness.
It could be a conformation fault that is casing it to some extent. I still wouldn't choose her unless the rest of the animal was exceptional and she isn't.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'm looking at how the bad feet are affecting the knees. In the top picture you can see how her hooves have gone untrimmed so long that both cleats are bending to the outside. The goat stands with the knees cocked out and slightly bent to compensate. If she has been doing that for long, there's a good chance the connective tissues in her knees is destroyed and will always cause a weakness.
It could be a conformation fault that is casing it to some extent. I still wouldn't choose her unless the rest of the animal was exceptional and she isn't.
That would explain my girls:( They were not well cared for at all before they came here, and unfortunately I didn't know any better, because I knew nothing about goats, but they are being cared for now, and I'm happy about their progress since being here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts