The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miracle has been on Traditions goat feed for 2 years now. It comes from our local co-op and we haven't been happy with the quality of it here lately. I know TSC has different kinds of goat feeds, which ones do you recommend. I have tried Noble Goat and she does not like that. Also, I don't need some big fancy show feed. That would probably be too expensive. We consider 16$ (what we have been paying) per bag expensive! LOL!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
ADM is good, but it is a little more expensive in my area. If you have a Ranchway Feeds distributor, they have several different feeds that are not bad price wise. You could also check out Essential Feeds and see if there is a distributor in your area. Another option is to check with your feed stores who actually make feed and see if they have a blend that would be comparable to what you have been feeding.

·
730 Posts
I always mix in a little sweet feed when I change up. My spoiled bratz turn their noses up at everything new!...but...if you mix in a little sweet feed with the noble goat, I Bet she will eat it.. Noble Goat is what I feed my girls, and it seems to be good feed. If you still have some of your old brand feed left... try and mix some noble goat in with it and see what happens.. I usually mix alfalfa pellets with mine and they love it!

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fd123, she doesn't like sweet feed either. I have no idea what Kalmbeach or ADM is.

·
Banned
988 Posts
I went to my local feed store an seen what they had. They didnt carry anything for goats but I talked with them an was able to find a feed that they could order for me. I knew what I wanted an was able to order that so you could ask them what they could order for you. For a hundred pounds of 18% pelleted feed I pay 26 dollars. Maybe your Co-op could order something else for you?

Not sure about getting her to eat something new... Maybe try some honey in it or something sweet she likes??

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
What state are you in?

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Indiana. Just looked up ADM. Looks like they have several different kinds. What kind of ADM should I feed? Also looked up kalmbach. The closest dealer is Indy, which is an hour away. Not happening I can tell you that right now.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
When we started her on pelleted feed, my mom just went in and asked "hey do you have goat feed?" And we got what we got basically. That's just what we've stuck with and now we've gotten two bags that smelled funny. So, that's I want to switch. I need to know what to switch too. I jsut need the bare minimum. I don't plan on breeding on milking or anything. Essential feeds only has show feeds. Not what want. Ranchway doesn't have anything I'm looking for either. They have a grower, one for lactation, and one for dairy goats. Then show feeds, which once again, not what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I live in Indiana too any we feed umbarger. I think we pay $14.75 a bag for non-medicated dairy ration. They love it! It is a 'show feed' but cheaper than most feed you'll find at tractor supply and its made right here in Indiana so it's easy to find a dealer.

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She's not a dairy goat. She's a boer.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I believe they have the same needs whether she is a dairy or a boer,in my area alot of people feed a dairy cow feed,because it is avaliable,and offer free choice minerals

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most of the dairy feeds say it's for milking or pregnant goats. Miracle isn't either and never will be. She refuses to eat minerals so I stopped wasting the money on them. What about Purina Goat Chow? Does anyone here feed that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts