The Goat Spot Forum banner

Which fence to get

932 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  i like my goats 
#1 ·
I have a Electric fence but would like to get a regular fence by the barn and use the electric one it different areas of my property I’m trying to decide what kind of fence to get. im looking for a fence to keep Nigerian dwarfs in. I want something that works well but i Don’t want to get anything that I don’t really need that will cost more money. So will 4’ tall (4x4 holes) sheep fence work or do I need 5’ foot tall no climb horse fence? Or are there other better options that I don’t know about? (Not pallet fences though) thx

#3 ·
I use the 4x4 fencing as well for my goats with barbed wire on top and bottom. It works well for my larger breed goats. However, I have had smaller breed babies that could get through the 4x4 wire. The 2x4 horse fence would probably be a better option if you plan on raising babies. If you didn't want to fence your whole goat pasture with this wire, maybe consider just a smaller pasture until the kids got big enough that they couldn't fit through the larger wire.

#4 · (Edited)
We bought no climb horse fencing. I got tired of wire on top of panels on top if wire type situation. Nigies are squeezers and no matter how we fixed things, they, especially kids got out. It was more expensive but one fence instead of layers that didn't work seems to justify the cost.

#7 ·
I have five acres of hilly land fenced with the 4’ no climb horse fence (2x4 openings) and I didn’t think it was harder than any other type of fence on uneven ground. The dips, valleys, and tree roots weren’t bad to make sure the fence stayed to the ground. Our challenges came when going over little ravines and such where we needed to let occasional running water and leaves and small debris through but not the animals. Some bamboo poles staked into the ground and wired to the fence spaced about 4 inches apart took care of those spaces over seasonal creeks and water runoff areas.

Once we start fencing in more of our land, we plan to use the same fencing because so far, we’re really happy with it.

#9 ·
I spent two weeks, before getting goats, checking every foot of my fence. Fixing holes, tightening fencing, straightening and bracing posts, etc. So far no goats have escaped - except when the idiot owner leaves a gate open ...

I've seen my goats jump and I'm sure they could easily get over the 4' field fence if it ever occurred to them, but so far that has not happened. Goats have on occasion gotten their heads stuck in the fence, a downside of having horns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.